or Connect

Posts by John.B

Thanks, SolipsismX! TL;DR: Inability to simultaneously talk and surf on a Verizon iPhone was an Apple problem, not a Verizon problem.
I stopped using Skype when they abandoned the peering model and started routing all traffic through Microsoft servers.
I'll believe it when someone finds references to HomeKit in the codebase, not when some analyst looking for their 15 minutes of fame cites "unnamed sources close to Apple".
 Links are nice, but real-world is better.  Here's the test I ran:  From my company-issued Verizon Galaxy S4*, verify WiFi is off, then call my iPhone. On the S4, fire up ESPN and stream the first recent video over a minute in length (no caching). Put the S4 in a glass bowl (to amplify the audio), then listen to the streaming audio on my iPhone. Obviously, the year-old Sammy Galaxy S4 can talk and surf at the same time on the Verizon network, so why can't the...
 Hard for AT&T to get on the VoLTE bandwagon with the sorryassed excuse of an LTE network they currently have.  That's why they have to roll this out city by city. Years back when Verizon was undergoing the (frankly massive) effort to upgrade their 3G towers to LTE, AT&T fiddled with HSPA+ (their fake "4G"), in order to make their map look better. Worst of all, AT&T believes their LTE network is adequate.  AT&T exec Ralph de la Vega told investors as much this week:  If...
 In the kid's defense, it's a pretty shitty design that opening the box at even a slight angle lets the phone just drop out.  Worse, it's been like that for ages.
 Fixed. Just a lousy week for the infrastructure support team.  Live stream dubbing issues.  Inability to bring the Apple.com iPhone 6/6+ preorder site online at the advertised time, as well as connectivity problems with carrier sites.  Widespread issues downloading iOS 8.  It's one thing to develop an internal CDN, it's another to have sufficient capacity for a series of rollouts of this magnitude.
 If that bothers you, you might not want to watch the phonebuff drop test video:   
I love Keynote, and Pages is decent enough (though not as Word-compatible as I would need for work), but Apple really needs to scrap Numbers and start over from scratch.
 Yeah, that was pretty tone-deaf for a company of Apple's lineage.  But if you're that offended by this, you might want to turn off automatic music downloads. Edit:  Charlie beat me too it.