or Connect

Posts by John.B

Meijer is actually listed on the main Apple Pay website:  https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/   Even though Target stores are the proverbial poster children for NFC payments, they still seem hellbent on going the CurrentC route.  Mostly because they are addicted to tracking and aggregating people's buying habits and Apple Pay could reduce their ability to do that.
The easiest way to tell if Beats copied Monster:  If the price of a replacement cable is more than the headphones themselves. 
 Does the AppleInsider comments section really block links to forums.appleinsider.com/?   
 Because Apple does build different models for different carriers? Here's a fun activity you can do with your hands:  Break open your T-Mo or VZW iPhone 6 and find the CDMA chipset/antenna.
 If I were buying an unsubsidized (full price) iPhone 6/6+ today, I would definitely pick up one with CDMA support for the same money.  Up until yesterday, that would've been the Verizon models.  If it turns out Verizon is actually activating these new unlocked A1586/A1524 models*, the CDMA version of those would definitely be the one to get as they also include bands 38-41 (LTE-TD) that the Verizon models don't support. *Since these are available today at retail Apple...
 Awaiting confirmation...   ;-) (Also, the four additional LTE-TD bands that some networks will partially depend on, i.e. Sprint, US Cellular, many "overseas" networks).
 Unless there was a major policy change at VZW, the "SIM-free" iPhones will not work for Verizon.  Not due to any technical limitations, but because Verizon has had a strict policy to restrict phone activations to only those phones where the IMEI numbers are in their database.  If it didn't start life as a "Verizon phone", they refuse to activate it. Ironically, Verizon 5S/6/6+ iPhones (even on-contract iPhones) come factory unlocked and will work on basically any other...
I shop at the Apple Store less and less.  This, and the lack of Black Friday discounts (sorry, iTunes gift cards don't count) are just some of the reasons.   I did stop in the other day to ask about the sudden lack of tracking in my Health app on my iPhone 6.  At 10:10 am, in a largely empty store, I was told I could make an appointment to come back at 7:00 pm.  I motioned to the empty Genius Bar counter at the back of the store and asked if they were really that backed...
 No kidding, the last Nokia app for HERE maps was awful, a crappy shell over a web-based interface with terrible touch lag.
The lawsuit may lack a plaintiff, but the class action attorneys would clearly be the beneficiaries.  Meanwhile, while everyone who can prove they owned an old iPod will get a pittance on the order of a 49¢ discount on a song download.