or Connect

Posts by John.B

Google built a data center near here that gets all its power from a coal plant.  They claim that buying offsets from wind farms on a different grid makes that data center "green".  That's a far cry from powering a data center with actual renewable energy.
So passengers can't send texts?  The Bluetooth feature in my Honda can read texts.  Works with both iPhones and Androids.
Add Touch ID (and user profiles via iOS 8) and ship it. 
Rolling out the Fire TV with voice search only for Amazon's own content was asinine, though somewhat predictable.  Even the "fixed" version will silo voice search on a per-app basis.  What people want is to be able to simultaneously search across all content.   Also predictable, they have intentionally made it difficult to search for just the free Prime content from the Fire TV, voice search or no.
Waiting for an iPad mini with Touch ID, thankyouverymuch. 
Wondering just how random this was.
Triathlete suffers head injuries from falling drone | SBNation.com
 Personally, I find the "free" Amazon Prime content severely lacking.  It's certainly not something I'd be willing to pay for on an ala carte basis. Add the fact that their Instant Video app still(!) won't stream over LTE (or any cellular data) and I'd say it's not yet ready for prime time.  To be fair, they did finally get the Airplay video working from the app, even if you do have to stand up a hotspot to trick the app into using cellular data. If Amazon's streaming...
 And someday even those 3rd gen nuke plants are going to be 40 years old.  They'll have to be.  To be cost effective, the huge costs to build them will need to be amortized over decades of electric rates. I'm sure Fukusima was considered "incredibly safe" when it was built (poor assumptions about being able to withstand tsunami flooding notwithstanding).  What about those built near known earthquake faults?  Or those built on the banks of oceans known for tsunamis?  Or on...
 Never moves?  I travel with my ATV (because hotel room TV content is crap) and some cheaply built wallwart power adapter is the last thing I want to have to account for.  The power cable for the ATV is small, durable, standard, and easily replaced if lost.  And generally I find wallwarts to be bad form, design-wise, YMMV.