or Connect

Posts by John.B

I first started researching alternate DNS servers because my ISP's DNS servers were so flaky!Back to post #2 of this thread:
It's like the AI linkbait pulled the Googlians out of the woodwork. This must constitute that 20% where you don't have to work? An FAQ can say whatever they want it to say, whatever is expedient, whatever furthers their corporate goals. It's not as if this carries the legal weight of, for example, a sworn deposition by Eric Schmidt. How is this any different from an FAQ that says, for instance, that they don't collect and/or index data about or from WiFi access points...
And yet, you're still here...
That would be funny if it wasn't so true... Many medium and large ISPs leverage those same DNS services of L3. That's how DNS works. Besides, it happens to be load balanced to the hilt. The advantage of using it is that it's not borked up with a bunch of domain search redirects, which is what my ISP is doing with their end-user DNS services (and probably yours as well).
"Do no evil", my arse!
4.2.2.2 4.2.2.1
That's why I said I was confused:Then why wouldn't access to additional processing power -- via GPGPU -- be a good thing? If the 320M (or better) IGP is underutilized except when decoding HD content, why not use that for specific types of application processes that can benefit from the OpenCL architecture? And I don't know that I agree that the Nvidia IGP is all that "low end"' for a properly written OpenCL process. Also (and I'm no expert here), don't our Windows-using...
I'm not sure I follow you here. Are you sure you aren't confusing OpenCL with OpenGL? The promise of OpenCL is to unlock some of the power in the GPU for other than garden variety graphics processing.If Mac applications are going to start getting wide support for OpenCL-based applications, it'll be because it's ubiquitous. Otherwise we're back to that whole chicken vs. the egg thing; if only some Macs have OpenCL support, what developers are going to add that into the...
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-for-apple.ars Even if that pans out, we don't know is if this is the direction Apple will go.
Which brings us back to the original question, will this actually perform better than an older CPU (C2D) with a better IGP (Nvidia 320M)? My guess is that they are evaluating that in Cupertino as we speak. Which doesn't make buying the 13" MBP today any easier...