or Connect

Posts by malax

I notice that the MBPr 13" has less than double the pixels of the MBA 13".  Does Mac OS X handle the retina display exactly the same way iOS handles it?  In that case, I would actually get less usable screen real estate with the Pro model over the Air model (although the text would be sharper on the Pro).  For example, if I'm working in X Code, would I feel more space constrained in the Pro than the Air, or could I take advantage of the extra pixels so that it feels like a...
 My language/example was a little sloppy, admittedly.  Stock buybacks happen on top of a dynamic market.  The effect of a stock-buy back should have a positive effect ceteris paribus ("holding all other things constant," for those of you years away from Economics 101), but observed during a falling market the stock price could still be negative.  The logic is that if we observe that AAPL fell $20 during a 3-month period that included a massive buy-back, many would say that...
You're obviously missing the point of those arguing (correctly) that the tax consequences for AAPL investors of a stock buyback and a dividend are different.  Let's look at the two alternate scenarios considering the impact on someone with 1000 shares who sells 200 of them. In case 1 (the stock buy back scenario).  The investor sold 200 shares at price X and now holds 800 shares are a price higher than it would have been.  He pays taxes this year on the 200 shares he sold....
Aw, so sad.  Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.
 Are you implying that measures of financial performance literally signify nothing?
From investopedia.org (with a name like that, it has to be a good source, right?):   Definition of 'Blue Chip' A nationally recognized, well-established and financially sound company. Blue chips generally sell high-quality, widely accepted products and services. Blue chip companies are known to weather downturns and operate profitably in the face of adverse economic conditions, which helps to contribute to their long record of stable and reliable growth.   Sounds like...
They don't get much bluer.  AAPL is a significant part of pretty much any balanced portfolio on the planet.  I'm overstating that for emphasis, but seriously, look at the component stocks of a random sampling of large cap, general market, and balanced funds and AAPL will be at or near the very top of most of them.
I'm just (pleasantly) surprised that AAPL is slight up this morning.  It was down a smidge overnight and usually the day after earning reports is a sell-off day.   I hope that when AAPL finally hits $100 sometime soon the doesn't nosedive like when it cracked $700 momentary a few years ago.  It's tempting to put in a sell order for $99.99 just to lock in some gains.  (Of course it's thinking like that that causes stocks to crash after hitting some arbitrary psychological...
There is no way a large corporation could every make an assertion like you wanted to put in their mouths without having a high likelihood of being "caught in a lie."  If I told my wife "I've never had an inappropriate sexual relationship with another woman"  in response to a question about that.  Is she going to assume that I'm covering up a relationship with a man or be reassured that I addressed a particular concern of hers.  If instead I said "I have never done anything...
Because it was simply a typo in the original email by the Apple PR guy?  Seriously, what would "products of services" even mean in that context?