or Connect

Posts by malax

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I know plenty of people who never understood the difference between system memory (RAM) and storage, so it's not obvious what "the average consumer acting reasonably under the circumstances" (the legal standard in California apparently) believes.  It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this mythical person may believe they can put 16GB of their stuff on a 16GB device.
 Apparently the number is zero. I don't think I've every been in such a heated argument (on one side at least) with someone when we appear to agree on the substantive point.
I agree with you.  As I've said before, I expect the Apple legal team is wishing right about now that they had some clearer language on their product page saying that the advertised capacity is not all available for user content due to the OS and other stuff.  Lawyers like to have multiple defenses, and "look here where we specifically told you about this" is a good one to have.  "Everyone else does it this way too" isn't quite as good.
 If you've provided an example of a sentence that Apple could include on their product page to make this clear, I've missed it.  Care to share it again? The complaint goes into quite a bit of details about the difference between GB and GiB and calls out Apple for showing GiB values labeled as GB on the phone itself. Are you saying that they got their math wrong in the table in their complaint (and included multiple times in this thread) where they show that only 13GB is...
 So how would you state it? I don't believe the GB versus GiB issue is relevant to this discussion.  The complaint is that Apple advertises a 16GB device but only 12-13GB is available for end-user content and apps.  As someone else pointed out here, Apple could (in theory) include the OS on a separate drive making a full 16GB available for storage.  It's not entirely unreasonable that a typical consumer could assume that they have 16GB to play with (as they do when they...
So how would you state it? I don't believe the GB versus GiB issue is at all relevant to this discussion.  Apple advertises a 16 GB device but only 12-13 GB is available for end-user storage.  That's the complaint.  
And it was the success of the iPhone and iPad than caused Apple Inc. to drop "Computer" from its name.  Yes, and iPhone is a computer, but that's not how it's advertised.  And although you can easily find that Mac OS X will take 8 GB of available storage (http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/), I can't find a similar statement about iOS on the iPhone or iOS product pages (http://www.apple.com/ios/what-is/).  Apple wants you/us to think about the iPhone and iOS devices...
I've never said that Apple should lose this lawsuit.  I hope they don't.  But if they do, it'll be because they didn't cover their asses sufficiently in their tech specs page. This is an Apple forum, so I'm saying what I think Apple should do.  I've never said that we need stronger "consumer protection" laws to force them to do so. So no, I don't mean "just for Apple" (whatever that means), but I mean "just for companies that are interested in being honest and forthright...
 I would assume that cubic capacity of a trunk is measured strictly by volume.  So if it says 6 cubic feet, I could fill it with 6 cubic feet of loose sand (if I filled it by drilling a hole in the top of the trunk and filling it that way).  So I wouldn't expect to able to store 2 3 cubic foot boxes, for example.  But I would certainly call foul if the spare tire and the wiper fluid reservoir ate into that advertised 6 cubic feet.
Ok, so your complaint is with my "assertion" that the "OS and other stuff" take up 3GB instead of 3GiB or whatever?   Here's where I (and the complainants) are coming from:  "You said 16GB, but in fact we have maybe 12-13GB to play with."  I personally don't care what proportion of that missing 3-4GB is from formatting the drive, the OS, the virtual memory swap space, the apps I can't delete, etc., etc. I think it would be better if Apple addressed this more explicitly....