or Connect

Posts by malax

Those questioning the Walmart inclusion probably don't "get" Walmart.  Walmart is so radically different from every store that came before that it revolutionized retail.  Walmart's use of data and its relationship with its partners "changed everything."  As I understand it (told to me by an economics professor who I assume knew what he was talking about), Walmart doesn't stock products like a traditional store.  The products on the shelves are literally not part of...
Penicillin was discovered 86 years ago, so it (just barely) missed the cut.
Without seeing the language of the bill, I don't know if I support it or not, but I wouldn't associate the word "liberty" to this under any circumstances. Having the government force a person to hire someone who they otherwise would choose not to hire (perhaps for odious reasons), is not liberty. One could be in favor of this for other good reasons, but not for that one (without completely distorting the meaning of the word).
It's simplistic and pointless to characterize any company as "good guys" in a competitive marketplace.  Did they "respect" the agreement that Apple had with the record labels (and with consumers who purchased music and music players from Apple under a certain legal regime) by hacking the DRM?  The fact is that in the rough and tumble marketplace companies make decisions to further their own interests, often at the expense of competitors.  I would characterize what Apple...
 Right, but his comment was a positive one ("what a class act") and therefore the /s meant that he didn't mean it.  Unless this was a case of double reverse sarcasm making fun of a hypothetical someone who might have said "what a class act" sarcastically...  /s  ;-)
"Plaintiffs allege Apple sought to create a monopoly by creating a closed ecosystem with FairPlay digital rights management (DRM), the iPod and the iTunes Music Store."   This is the part of anti-trust law that is really annoying.  It's such a squishy subject.  Ask any business person selling any product or service if they wouldn't like to completely dominate the market and they would (probably) say yes.  Therefore almost everyone is "seeking to create a monopoly."  Is...
 Give me a break.  If you asked me a bunch of questions in a high-stakes setting under oath, my go-to and completely honest answer for most questions about what I did or said 5 years ago would be "I don't remember."  Remember, our legal system is designed to be adversarial.  If I committed a murder on 3 minutes after midnight on January first, and you ask me if I killed anyone on December 31st, I would be an idiot to say anything other than "no."  I am under no obligation...
How bizarre that Apple, on one hand, took a heavy handed approach and said "hey knuckleheads, every song will be song for 99c, join us on iTunes if you want, or done."  And with books they took exactly the opposite approach by saying "we won't to be involved in setting prices for books, you set the price--but we reserve the right to lower the price if you sell it for less somewhere else."  And somehow, the latter was deemed a conspiracy to set prices and the former (which...
Have you even read what this suit is about?  You seem to have it completely backwards in your urgency to complain about all things Apple. You're saying that Apple shouldn't have prevented content purchased from iTunes from working on other devices.  (Which of course was never really a problem and Apple made it no problem at all once they convinced the labels from insisting on DRM.) What the lawsuit is about is that Apple didn't allow songs purchased from other sources to...
For so many reasons.  If nothing else, tripling the $350M figure that the plaintiff pulled out of thin air to sound impressive makes no sense.  Actual damages are likely to be zero, but theoretically they could be even higher than a $1B (if the jurors are wasted).