or Connect

Posts by malax

Thanks for that summary.  I hadn't understood it that way.  This whole sapphire thing is very intriguing.  Of all the components that Apple doesn't make, I wonder why this made the cut.  It's especially interesting given Apple's history with Corning.
I thought Apple just had a partnership with some firm to manufacture these sapphire crystal whatever-they-are. This article implies that it will be an Apple owned and operated facility. Is that the case?
Look at the very top of any of the official legal documents from this case.  It's points out that it's Apple Inc versus Samsung, Ltd. "a Korean company," Samsung America incorporated in the US, and some third version.  Therefore it's perfectly reasonable to make comments about Samsung Korea (the first defendant).
Or how about the atheletes leave their phones in their pockets and experience the once-in-a-lifetime moment first-hand?  This experience of recording everything and basically watching life in real-time through a little screen is bizarre.
Right, but you can't buy every competitor's loyalty by giving them a stupid phone.  Nike pays its people millions so it makes sense that they try not be caught dead wearing something else.  This is entirely different.
I suspect you are not 40-something or older.  Those of us who lived through the DOS -> Mac OS -> Windows history in the late 80s/early 90s scoff at your summary from a 21st century perspective.  There were no other exemplars to steal from when Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 were in full blown copy-Apple mode.  (Ok maybe they also stole a thing of two from the Amiga, but I wouldn't know.)
 What great software has Microsoft made?  Their biggest products (Word and Excel) are the definition of bloatware.  Powerpoint is the same.  SharePoint is a nightmare. Seriously, what software were you thinking of when you said that Microsoft can "do software better than anyone?"  Is there any MS software product that is the best in class? MS's core competency is selling software to enterprises, and the consumerization of IT (and new cloud solutions) is cutting into that.
 Well said.  I'm sure the new CEO will be thrilled to have Bill's "help" on all the major decisions.  And even if Gates does stay in the background and just be supportive, why does anything this Gates has much to offer?  There has to be an element of "Steve came back and saved Apple (and changed the world), and I'm as smart as Steve was, so..."
According to the announcement MS is giving nothing except a discounted rate on their software to schools.  That's a good way to hang onto their Office monopoly that is of dwindling importance.  (My kids school have them use Google tools for their writing assignments for example).
No.  The linked press release mentions (but doesn't not emphasize) that Ballmer retains his seat on the Board.  He, Gates, and the new CEO are the 3 internal board members.  I wonder how long retired CEO Ballmer will stay on the board.  My guess would be a year before the new CEO can swap some other senior employee.