or Connect

Posts by malax

I suggest you read the actual opinion (link provided in the article).  It's clear that the issue that you're complaining about was specifically addressed by Congress with the Portal-to-Portal Act of 1947.  This (like many cases) is not about the courts making the law, but them simply applying the law as written.  If you don't like the law, work to change it, but there is no reason to complain to the courts.  In other words, the law says that activities that occur before or...
 Not true.  The Department of Labor classifies every job in existence by whether it is "exempt" or "non-exempt" from overtime (and related) rules. Employers don't get to decide.  Obviously retail sales jobs are non-exempt (as are help desk staff, in case you're looking for a Genius Bar exception).
I'm not the "you" you're addressing but I have no doubt that Google's internet services are more robust than Apple's. That's Google's bread and butter, so this should be surprising to anyone. They have many years' experience delivering services to massive audiences under crushing loads. Apple's not in their class yet, but then I don't know who is--except backbone companies.And it's not cowardess to decline to take on a low-payoff, high-risk challenge. It's prudence.
Exactly. The tech headlines Christmas Day were about Playstation and Xbox owners being unable to play with their new toys (my son included in that group). In the meantime millions of people were enjoying their new iPhones and iPads without an issue (he was in that group too). I don't think Apple will be regretting their The Interview decision.
I do not have trouble believing this. NK is a nation state with massive resources. They can buy hackers just as easily as a certain terrorist group could destroy three landmark buildings in the US. And reportedly Sony's security basically sucks.
Exactly right. What's the upside for Apple? Massive sales of one movie on one of their busiest days of the year: maybe 20 million sales @ $3 for Apple = $60 million. Plus some vague "do the right thing"/free speech publicity. The downside: potential service disruption on the single most important day of the year due to load and/or denial of service/hacking attacks; possible long term hacking target; risk of something going wrong because of the rush to market (I'm sure...
Only if there is a story about a troll who buys candy from other trolls, puts it all in a big bowl, and lets anyone eat it for free.
Apple spends millions of dollars on paperclips.  Given the scale they operate at, the cost of designing and implementing these sorts of changes are barely material.
Careful.  sog will start screaming at you.  Apparently even the suggestion that some significant portion of the market might want a smaller phone is an offensive suggestion.
 Excellent question.  Here's part of their answer: It does appear that patent they acquire are essentially in the public domain (at least as a practical matter).