or Connect

Posts by malax

This is a sincere questions, since I don't have any hands-on experience with Jellybean or Windows 8: can you give some examples of missing features from iOS?
"$50 in earning" seems conservative.
  If they "whole product concept of an iPad" is a newspaper reader using a stylus.   You'll notice that they have a model of Enterprise-E (ST TNG) in their lab.  Of course ST TNG features crew walking around with tablets (which did more than their newspaper thing).  Yawn.
From the funny video:  "It might be difficult to conceptualize the idea of digital paper, but that's what's going to happen"   Yeah, real hard to conceptionalize.  What a visionary he must have been to imagine that.   It's interesting that in some ways this video from 17 years ago is spot on.  It just missed the Web site as the intermediate step between "physical newspaper" to "tablet news."    I like the demo around the 5:50 mark where he hands her his...
According to the original AI article: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/149612/new-apple-retail-chief-john-browett-receives-61m-in-stock-rights his first 5,000 shares of stock become unrestricted on Oct 20, so I hope he gets shown the door in the next 60 days so he doesn't earn that $3.2 million for his couple of months of work.
  You realize that the patent has nothing to "make a touch pan into a second high-resolution display," right?   It's about adding visual feedback to an input device that is not a display surface.  At first blush this patent seems unnecessary: "why do I need visual feedback from the device itself when I'm already getting feedback from my primary screen--seeing the cursor move, etc."  But that's only because everyone has written software assuming that the primary screen...
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that a patent is for an implementation not a vague idea.  So the "pinch to zoom" patent isn't "hey man, if you pinch something it should get smaller, and if you do the reverse it gets bigger."  It's more specific than that.  As others have pointed out a number of these examples don't show "zooming" at all.  They show "pinch to shrink."  Moreover, the way the Diamond Touch thing works is different (and more limited) than Apple's...
    Ok THAT example is potentially relevant (depending on whether it was truly "prior") but not those lame examples in the main story that Samsung introduced.   This reminds me of another SJ quote: real artists ship.  Give Apple credit for doing something like this and turning it into a real product and getting it into the hands of millions of people.
  Because I've seen much better inspirational stuff from the same time period about the same product.  Yes, it's interesting as a "hey look it's the guys actually involved in the creation" glimpse into history.  I was just reacting to headline of the article saying "was shelved and never aired publicly due to concerns that it would be seen as "too self-congratulatory."  No, it was shelved because it was a bad ad.  I actually don't think it was too self-congratulatory,...
Or maybe they didn't run it because it was a really bad ad, featuring a group of awkward nerd kids spouting a mix of informative truths ("the best only way to explain it is to demo it; if you get your hands on it you want want to give it up") to irrelevancies ("it had to cost a quarter of anything I designed before") to meaningless babble ("we can go from companies running people to hopefully people running companies").   A useful reminder of how young those guys...