or Connect

Posts by malax

Was it always just $20?  OS X Server looks like a great deal now, even if you just use it for the Time Machine feature.  My kids and I have 4 Macs in active use and two of them aren't backed up regularly.  I can just pay $20 for this, turn on the Time Machine server option, point the other three Macs to the one acting as the server and I'm covered.  That's a lot cheaper than buying some networked backup appliance.   Am I missing something?
I have 3 or 4 Macs that I'll upgrade to Snow Lion or whatever it's called,  Remind me if there is any way to do that without having each computer download the installer independently?  Seems more than a little inefficient (and may interfere with my kids' Minecraft and Skype obsessions).
It seems to me that there are two types of patent violations (or IP violations in general): one where the offending party sees something the protected party does and copies it and one where the "offending" party creates something that turns out to be covered by someone else's patent.  I believe it's the latter that that Carmack was complaining about in his famous quote.  I'm sure that happens all the time, and it speaks to the fact that oftentimes the bar for what should...
  According to your logic, one is only "allowed" to hate something if it affects them directly?     Warlords in Africa?  No problem, doesn't affect me directly.     Racism?  Nah, I'm white.     Child abusers?  I'm not a child, what's the big deal.   In my book it's perfectly fine to be disgusted with, or even "hate," people (and organizations) that behave in detestable ways.  I'm sure you'll sleep easier now :-)
Can you imagine how SJ would have reacted to this?   If I were Apple I would include in the "statement" a picture of the two devices side by side along with the date they were introduced.  "According to the [insert name of the court here] the Samsung device shown here that came out a year after the iPad is not a copy of the iPad.  They've instructed us to tell you that.  Have a nice day."
As to "Why was it Bob Mansfield and not Cook or Ives?" Duh.  The Senior Vice President for Hardware Engineering sounds like exactly the right person to make an announcement like this.  It's not going to be Ives; he's got NOTHING to do with this.  And why escalate it to the big boss?  This is a tempest in a teapot and no sense making it even more high-profile be attaching Cook's name to it.  And if it wasn't Mansfield decision to pursue this in the first place (and...
  Exactly right.  This isn't a "massive fail" or "epic fail" as others have posted.  This is a rather ho-hum, "Apple goofed, learned quickly, and corrected course."   Obviously it's weird (since many of us here were asking "just because some of your products don't mean the standard, what's the point of pulling already-approved items from the list?"), but it's hard to get too excited about it.   Apple had PLENTY of communication/messaging gaffes during the Jobs era and was...
I honestly believe that the MS stock price would spike up if it were announced or even rumored that Balmer got hit by a truck.  What a maroon.
I'm as big an Apple fan as anyone, and I expect my reaction is fairly typical: 1. I have confidence/faith in Apple as a company and therefore I doubt that this story is true as characterized by the complainant.  I'm sure there were meeting, etc., but I doubt that Apple used illegal and inappropriate means to steal the ideas. 2. Having said that, it's possible that it's true, in which case I will be disappointed in Apple. 3. Especially if they don't handle it...
From Registered Apple Developer Agreement (https://developer.apple.com/programs/terms/registered_apple_developer_20100301.pdf)   6. Confidential Pre-Release Materials License and Restrictions. If Apple provides you with Pre-Release Materials, then subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Apple hereby grants you a nonexclusive, nontransferable, right and license to use the Pre-Release Materials only for the limited purposes set...