or Connect

Posts by malax

But as others have asked, then why didn't Apple limit sales to US initially instead of, for the first time, making them available in China simultaneously.  That decision suggests that Apple does have sufficient stock to handle the initial surge reasonably well. Stock outs at the carrier retail locations are bad news though.  My experience buying an iPhone at a Verizon store a few years ago wasn't pleasant.  They tried to talk me out of the iPhone in favor of some other...
 It depends on the developer. It is possible to support the app so it looks like a iOS6 app on iOS6 and an iOS7 app on iOS7.  It's also possible to add whiz bang new features to your app using the latest and greated iOS7 APIs, but make sure that the app still works great on older versions that don't have those APIs.  Some of this stuff is easy, some is difficult/complex. When the developer posts an app to the App Store he makes a choice about which iOS versions to...
This is a big win.   This will also encourage app developers to throw in with iOS7 since it won't abandon users of prior systems.  I have a few apps in the app store and some of my users still use older iPod touches so I keep supporting back to iOS5 (or maybe 4, I don't recall off hand).  Now I'm more likely to start using newer iOS6 and 7 APIs and stop supporting the older versions.
 $100 is $100 (i.e., not nothing).  Consider someone (like my wife) who has a iPhone 4 and is ready to upgrade.  She can spend $100 and get a cool new 5c.  Or she can pay twice as much to either double the storage or double the speed and get a fingerprint thing.  For her, the answer was easy.  $299 for a 32GB 5s is lot of money for a phone.  And she likes blue. On the other hand I can "justify" getting the 5s because I develop apps and need to make sure they work on both...
 Obviously you don't want to understand what everyone is saying, but let me give it another try. Apple has never rolled out 2 new phones at the same time.  When they roll out a new phone, they announce how many they sold in the first week.  But the other shoe hasn't dropped yet.  No one has been able to buy a 5s, so therefore they can't announce anything about that. My expectation is (along with lots of other people on this thread) is that shortly after the 5s goes on...
 Except that they really don't CARE if AAPL drops for a few days and then jumps back.  It's irrelevant to Apple as a business.
That is just nuts.  I can kinda see waiting overnight to be first in line, but a WEEK??  The manager should have done then a bigger favor and said "no one can start lining up until Thursday night; go home."
I'm sure my wife is in the same boat as many people.  She has a iPhone 4 and is ready for an upgrade.  She's ready to get the latest iPhone without paying an arm and a leg.  An extra $100 for "faster" and a fingerprint reader is, for her, a lot of money.  She'd rather pay $100 for twice the storage of her current 16 GB phone.  So we pre-ordered the blue 32 GB one.  Frankly if the price were $49 for 16 and $149 for 32, she might have stuck with 16, costing Apple $150....
 I have to disagree with almost all of this.  First off there was no one who thought the "c" stood for "cheap."  Second, I don't think anyone at Apple particularly cards that the stock dropped.  If Apple choose the right price points, etc. the new phones will be a huge hit and the stock price will react accordingly. I also don't think it will be a "problem" if the 5c ends up being discounted in a few months--unless it doesn't sell well before that.  It's very possible that...
 I don't think it signals that at all.  It signals that WalMart wants a piece of the early-adopter action and the only way to get that is to discount.  Who else in their right mind would buy from WalMart rather than an Apple Store or online? And what exactly do you expect to learn early tomorrow?