or Connect

Posts by malax

Exactly.  That statement was politically correct gibberish.
Presumably because those are some of the few situations where there is any relevance to the business person.  If you go to the hardware store to buy nails, there's not much of a reason to explain that it's to build a house with your gay partner.
 You absolutely should have the right.  And others would have the right to protest and boycott your store.  Freedom is messy.  Oh well.
 That's right, there is lot of ambiguity in "race, color, religion or national origin."  If you squint really hard, can you see where it says "gender or sexual orientation?" This AZ law was about clarifying that people have rights to freely associate/do business with (or not) people based on their personal beliefs.  Saying that people don't have that choice is taking away rights not giving them. And courts should, in general, refrain from just making stuff up because times...
So do you think a wedding photographer should be compelled to take pictures at a gay wedding if they believe it's a sin (or for any reason)?  This (vetoed) law said 'no.'  That seems like the right answer to me even though I'll vote in favor of gay marriage in my state (if I ever get the chance; the judges seem intent on deciding this on their own).
I'm pretty sure that meets the definition of assault.  I don't think anyone here is suggesting that violence against gays or anyone else is acceptable.  And if Woolworth (do they still exist) tried that today, there would (rightfully) be a massive uprising and they would decide that policy immediately.
Is that considered a logical argument?  "Due to a change in the law in 1964 you can't do A, B, of C, therefore courts are saying that you can't do D."  I wonder what other restrictions the Court will discover/invent.
 And a photographer who doesn't want to take pictures at a gay wedding should have that right in 2014.  I wonder if the NRA could sue a Web design firm that refuses to take their business for political reasons.
 Exactly.  There are plenty of other bakers would be delighted to have the business.
 Agreed.  Would a photographer or wedding cake baker be forced to take on KKK members, anti-abortion protesters, or Tea Party activists if they didn't want to?  Freedom allows people to make unpopular (and even rude and stupid) decisions. Let's say this bill had been signed into law.  And some restaurant chain said "we refuse to serve gay people."  A) That would be about as effective as saying "we refuse to serve people carrying concealed guns" or "we refuse to serve...