or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

I have not seen any official statements regarding this question, or any attempted 3rd-party tests, so I can't really say. As the SSD card is mounted to a socket that is unique to one of the GPU cards, the SSD would not be usable with that card removed. Assuming the machine can function with only one GPU, you may also need a bootable external drive in that case. However, I am also wondering if this is a realistic concern. While some MacBook Pros have had GPU issues, they...
I have not seen such a product or the parts to roll your own yet. However, I do believe there is adequate demand for the capabilities, especially when the new Mac Pro becomes available. One things you say is that you don't want a motherboard; but I think that is actually the way to go. I'm imagining the following part: - Thunderbolt Expansion Board that takes the form factor of an ATX motherboard; fits in any standard ATX PC chassis with power supply. - rear port area...
  I hate hard drives for use in primary storage, too. However, they definitely have their places, and backup storage is one of them.   Im curious - what do you think the specific benefit of an SSD as a backup drive would be? Latency and throughput are pretty much non-issues, especially when you consider that in such applications the processor is the choke point. Power consumption is reduced, but this is not a portable, battery-operated device. The big issue is cost. A 2TB...
 I had been using the Time Capsule as a backup for our old Macbook; it was bought soon after the computer in 2008. A major motivator for switching was rage at horrible photo organization options on Windows; another was needing a good backup system for those photos. The Time capsule has proven itself several times since then, and I agree it is an excellent choice for a laptop backup.However, we now also have a Mac Mini, which has become the primary computer and is backed up...
 I wasn't expecting anyone to have an answer just yet - but something that I would look for in the inevitable teardowns. I'm guessing it will be like the non-Fusion iMacs, where the circuit board has a space for the connector, but no connector was installed. Perhaps the TC version would also include additional support frame for the drive. No end-user retrofit? Oh, well!I am quite happy with my current AE, so I'm not in the market for a replacement, either. However, the...
I'm curious - it looks like the Airport Extreme and Time Capsules are basically the same except for the hard drive itself. Would it be possible to buy an AE and install your own HD? While the old Time Capsules weren't designed to be user-serviceable, it was possible to replace the drive.
  It depends on how manufacturing processes are factored into the design. Apple products can be difficut to repair because they are generally designed for ease of assembly. Other products can be difficut to build because they are designed to ensure disposability. These are very different things!   For example, having non-replaceable RAM means that the memory is installed via automated pick-and-place machines at the same time as all of the other surface-mount components of...
  This is not an issue with televisions. Any TV that takes HDMI input can correctly display a 1080p signal, even if the panel is natively different. The history of broadcast television has driven such standards.   Certainly not the quagmire of computer and mobile displays where screen resolution and aspect ratio can provide a meaningful product differentiation.
Gaming consoles were never "PCs", and if anything are "Pre-PC". They are not intended to run general-purpose software, be used in a workstation environment, or have wildly flexible hardware configurations. Rather, they are intended to run entertainment software, live with the TV, and have homogeneous hardware.   This last point is perhaps the most critical. Every PlayStation 3 is essentially identical. While Sony has made revisions, they have mostly been a...
Cellular-enabled Laptops have several problems: Cellular technology progresses much faster than the typical lifespan of a laptop. We may think 4G is good today, but it wasn't that long ago that 3G was mind-blowing.   Most people who would use mobile data with a laptop already have a smartphone. A tethering plan on the phone costs the same as a data plan for the laptop would. Even if you don't have a tetherable phone or want to use it that way, there are plenty of...