or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

I think it is interesting how people (including the story author) are reading this as "Apple is going to morph the AppleTV into a gaming console to directly compete with Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and the secret thing Valve is working on." Newell didn't say that at all; Merely that Apple is a threat. They don't need to have a directly-competing product; just one that replaces the console in people's lives.   I don't expect Apple to produce a dedicated game console,...
  As I mentioned, very compelling for a MBA; personally I expect the 13" MBP to disappear soon - the only real benefit is the optical drive, and the new MBPs ditched them. Reduction of size & weight by elimination of the GPU & battery capacity needed when portable, coupled with the capacity to drive a big display properly when docked would be excellent.   For a Mini, it doesn't make sense to me - a reduction in cost of the computer is not enough to cover the GPU in the...
  Having an integrated GPU is certainly a fascinating idea, especially if paired with a MacBook Air. I'm curious how well it would work if used with a higher-end machine that includes a discrete GPU already. An interesting idea could be a Mac Pro or Mini with no GPU at all...?   Why would you want a fiber cable as standard? My understanding is that the benefit to fiber is longer distance - i.e., you could have a massive RAID array in a secure closet or perhaps industrial...
  An an engineer, I think the technology is fascinating. As a consumer, I don't really care what makes it tick as long as it is robust, fast, and cheap.
  That is simply not true.   Thunderbolt, as a display interface, is completely compatible with DisplayPort, an industry standard. A quick look at Dell's site shows a wide selection of monitors with DisplayPort inputs. The U2712HM, for example, should work just fine as a display with 2560x1440 resolution.   Additionally, a quick search uncovers a fair selection of PCs that provide Thunderbolt ports. Acer, Lenovo, Asus, etc. all make them. Sony does as well, however they...
As mentioned by Marvin, keyboards with changeable displays integrated into the keys do exist but are insanely expensive. I would like to think the concept has merit; I think a non-illuminated e-ink keycap would probably work well and could have a more reasonable cost.   Of course, an on-screen keyboard can easily adapt to the selected language, but physical keys are here to stay for most people.   A cheap solution that already exists is overlay stickers....
    Except that "high speed data transfer" is not at all Thunderbolt's reason for being.   Its reason for being is a universal, simultaneously multi-protocol expansion port for the current and future generations of computers. As an embodiment of PCI-E, it can carry any current or future device that would be feasible with a PCI-based architecture, including multiple devices at the same time.   High-speed data transfer is simply a capability that is needed to meet this...
  By "matches", I'm assuming goes along with the appearance. I would say the only option there is Apple's own Thunderbolt Display. I don't expect there to be a significant market for 3rd-party Mini-specific displays. Mac Mini buyers seem to fall into several categories: 1) Replacing a computer and they already have a monitor. 2) Incorporating into a home theater, so using a TV as a display. 3) Very cost-sensitive and intend to skimp on the diplay. 4) Using as a low-cost...
  Curious. The original post by jollyjinx mentioned that he connected his SSD via SATA so that SMART data could identify it as being an SSD. Perhaps this PCIe-card SSD, while insanely fast, does not provide this kind of information, and therefore Core Storage does not prioritize it?
  I think the concept is valid, but breaks down when subjected to Microsoft's handling of fonts. My understanding:   In normal landscape mode, the display subpixels are arranged horizontally. With Microsoft's ClearType approach, the horizontal lines in glyphs are forced to align with physical pixels, while the vertical ones are aligned to sub-pixels, i.e., 1/3rd pixel. Diagonals or curves are essentially anti-alised on this grid. With western languages (and probably most...