or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

It depends on how manufacturing processes are factored into the design. Apple products can be difficut to repair because they are generally designed for ease of assembly. Other products can be difficut to build because they are designed to ensure disposability. These are very different things!   For example, having non-replaceable RAM means that the memory is installed via automated pick-and-place machines at the same time as all of the other surface-mount components of...
  This is not an issue with televisions. Any TV that takes HDMI input can correctly display a 1080p signal, even if the panel is natively different. The history of broadcast television has driven such standards.   Certainly not the quagmire of computer and mobile displays where screen resolution and aspect ratio can provide a meaningful product differentiation.
Gaming consoles were never "PCs", and if anything are "Pre-PC". They are not intended to run general-purpose software, be used in a workstation environment, or have wildly flexible hardware configurations. Rather, they are intended to run entertainment software, live with the TV, and have homogeneous hardware.   This last point is perhaps the most critical. Every PlayStation 3 is essentially identical. While Sony has made revisions, they have mostly been a...
Cellular-enabled Laptops have several problems: Cellular technology progresses much faster than the typical lifespan of a laptop. We may think 4G is good today, but it wasn't that long ago that 3G was mind-blowing.   Most people who would use mobile data with a laptop already have a smartphone. A tethering plan on the phone costs the same as a data plan for the laptop would. Even if you don't have a tetherable phone or want to use it that way, there are plenty of...
I think it is interesting how people (including the story author) are reading this as "Apple is going to morph the AppleTV into a gaming console to directly compete with Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and the secret thing Valve is working on." Newell didn't say that at all; Merely that Apple is a threat. They don't need to have a directly-competing product; just one that replaces the console in people's lives.   I don't expect Apple to produce a dedicated game console,...
  As I mentioned, very compelling for a MBA; personally I expect the 13" MBP to disappear soon - the only real benefit is the optical drive, and the new MBPs ditched them. Reduction of size & weight by elimination of the GPU & battery capacity needed when portable, coupled with the capacity to drive a big display properly when docked would be excellent.   For a Mini, it doesn't make sense to me - a reduction in cost of the computer is not enough to cover the GPU in the...
  Having an integrated GPU is certainly a fascinating idea, especially if paired with a MacBook Air. I'm curious how well it would work if used with a higher-end machine that includes a discrete GPU already. An interesting idea could be a Mac Pro or Mini with no GPU at all...?   Why would you want a fiber cable as standard? My understanding is that the benefit to fiber is longer distance - i.e., you could have a massive RAID array in a secure closet or perhaps industrial...
  An an engineer, I think the technology is fascinating. As a consumer, I don't really care what makes it tick as long as it is robust, fast, and cheap.
  That is simply not true.   Thunderbolt, as a display interface, is completely compatible with DisplayPort, an industry standard. A quick look at Dell's site shows a wide selection of monitors with DisplayPort inputs. The U2712HM, for example, should work just fine as a display with 2560x1440 resolution.   Additionally, a quick search uncovers a fair selection of PCs that provide Thunderbolt ports. Acer, Lenovo, Asus, etc. all make them. Sony does as well, however they...
As mentioned by Marvin, keyboards with changeable displays integrated into the keys do exist but are insanely expensive. I would like to think the concept has merit; I think a non-illuminated e-ink keycap would probably work well and could have a more reasonable cost.   Of course, an on-screen keyboard can easily adapt to the selected language, but physical keys are here to stay for most people.   A cheap solution that already exists is overlay stickers....