or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

Agreed. I had to whine for a REALLY long time (months) before my wife agreed to let me spend money on a MacBook. She didn't see the point, as we already had three WinXP machines in the house. (Except that was the point... \) The bottom model was passable. I wanted more memory and speed, but wasn't even going to ask. As we were driving to the store, she stared asking me details - I got the the part where it had the CD Burner/DVD-ROM. "What? It can't even burn a...
No, but what if you want to use it? The Blu-Ray DRM specs are pretty brutal. Not only do you need the drive, but you need a video card with the decryption in hardware, HDMI connector (DVI w/HDCP might be allowed), and an HDCP-compatible display. I could be wrong, but I don't believe any Mac cards have that yet. Next, the OS and drivers do need special features to pass the encrypted data stream "securely" from the drive to the video card. I'm under the impression that...
Time Capsule already is a NAS Device, with some extras. Would it be possible to have a major firmware update to greatly expand it's functionality (and available to current owners) like what was done for the AppleTV? Synchronizing between computers is still an issue; a utility to do that locally would be nice. Also, it could probably perform some media server duties.
I managed to find this one at Best Buy - It's their Insignia for $230. I sent the link to my wife as a way to introduce the discussion topic - she still gives me grief over my buying HD-DVD last fall. She surprised me buy buying it as a gift. Not much time with it yet, but no problems.
I wouldn't expect a major update any time soon. Any changes in the near term would likely be almost invisible to the user. I do think it is a little pricey, but still worth it. Wi-Fi N is here to stay for the next few years at least. While there is always research on a faster and better way, I'm not aware of any efforts to bring a successor to the consumer market just yet. The firmware seems solid enough. I don't have any problems, and all the features work as...
If new Macs are coming out next month, wouldn't they already be in production, getting ready to hit the shelves on opening day? Even if they aren't being built yet, there could be a lot of expenses getting prepared. Either way, that transition could be costing Apple big time now, without the consumer seeing a thing.
This is a plausible rationale for Apple's actions, but I believe that it is also incorrect.Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I have had some dealings with patents and other IP issues. The one-year grace period on patent applications isn't just from when detailed information about an invention is published. The clock is also started when a product that includes the invention is disclosed to the public, even if the existence or nature of the invention isn't obvious. The...
Dizzy Bee is a good game, very original. There is a free version that convinced me to buy the full one. It has been compared to Pac-Man, in that there are maze-like playing fields, and you have to pick up the little flowers, and more importantly, rescue your friends (who are various fruits), all while avoiding the bad guys. The control is very unique. It's accalerometer-based. Kind of like the labyrinth games, but held in a vertical plane. You rotate the device to...
I hope these "luxury hotels" start treating network access as an essential. Recently, I stayed at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas, the most high-end I've been in. The room was $150 a night, but network access wasn't included. If I wanted to use the ethernet port in my room, it was a $12/24 hour charge. If I wanted to use the Wifi in public areas, it was a separate $14?/24 hours. WTF? It should be included, especially the port in my room. I managed to power through the...
It seems apparent to me that a major reason for the dominance of PCs was/is customizability. In the past, a basic computer was only suitable for the most mundane tasks. People had to consider their uses, then carefully pick-and-choose the hardware components to get the best bang for the buck. The typical user was tech-savvy, and was able and willing to do this. The openness of Windows supported this basic need, while few alternatives did. Apple struggled through those...