or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

It seems apparent to me that a major reason for the dominance of PCs was/is customizability. In the past, a basic computer was only suitable for the most mundane tasks. People had to consider their uses, then carefully pick-and-choose the hardware components to get the best bang for the buck. The typical user was tech-savvy, and was able and willing to do this. The openness of Windows supported this basic need, while few alternatives did. Apple struggled through those...
Nah, but when they get the bugs worked out, those future laptops will have kick-ass batteries!
This is even more true for users of the iPod Touch. I have WiFi access at home, but almost everywhere else I go, not so much. I haven't tried the web apps at all yet, but because of that, they have limited appeal... Apps that don't use the network *really* shine for me. At the same time, I can appreciate the value of an iPhone, with almost-everywhere data access...
That's just a fact of life for technology consumers, especially in a market segment as saturated as cellphones. That said, if the iPhone interests you, now probably is a good time. An upgrade isn't likely for another year, and while there are look-alikes, nothing else hits the same target, or is even all that close. Any other phone will just be "This season's hottest look! (with a two-year contract...)"
This is a pretty interesting statement. I think Ballmer almost gets it. 1) From a user perspective, I don't think the Mac is at all narrow; it is consistent. 2) The choice that Windows provides, in terms of hardware, is valuable. What other choice, provided by MS, does the user get? Now, from a developer perspective, his comments make more sense. 3) If you want to develop for a Mac, you use Cocoa and Objective-C. Very complete, but that's just about it. 4) ...
Hey, I'm just getting my toes wet in developing with XCode, and plan to develop for the iPhone OS. I have the SDK, but haven't yet joined the developer program. I've been watching the intorduction videos in the documentation (good stuff), but one left me with a question. In order to test on the target device, it needs to be "designated". From the video, it seems like a modified version of the OS is loaded, with the hooks for app deployment, debugging, instruments,...
This is a wild guess: How about a transition of the iPod line to in-dash automotive systems? Last year, there was some buzz on Apple working with Volkswagen, even making an appearance on the VW Up! Concept car. Microsoft has been working to get in this market for years, with the Auto PC project, evolved into Sync and sold on Fords. Many other car stereos are including hard-drive MP3 capability and nav. An aftermarket iPod-branded car stereo/nav system could...
I don't see either 3G/EDGE or GPS in the Touch. First, is the cost of the 3G/EDGE data plan. The point of the iPod Touch is that the total cost of ownership is fairly low. If you'd need a data plan for an iPod Touch, you might as well have the whole iPhone. Second, GPS doesn't seem to be much use without a data connection. I have read that the iPhone offloads some GPS processing to the cloud, so a connection would be needed if this is true. Even if GPS functions...
I have been using this: http://supersync.com/ It also can sync iTunes libraries with PCs.
The headline and initial story make it sound like a very general/obvious patent, and implies Saxon is a patent troll. "Hey we invented the idea of encrypting wireless signals" (Nevermind that the Germans did it 60 years ago, and the practice of encrypted messages is ancient!)The tidbits quoted sound to me like they could be very specific solutions and improvements to pre-existing technology, and could be very legitimate patents indeed. Just because the patent is old, or...