or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

Good information. I didn't know Adobe has education discounts until earlier today. I was a bit excited until I also found that they are College-only. No CS3 discounts preschool teachers. \
Having a hard time figuring this out... My mother-in-law is a teacher at a non-profit preschool, which should qualify her for the educational discount (last bullet on the qualification FAQ). Looking to get a Macbook + iPod Touch, and we'd prefer to buy at a local Apple store. (Honestly, it is for me, but I'm encouraging her as well...) Looking through the information online, the school isn't listed, so I called the 1-800-MY-APPLE number to find out about...
The Apple TV is designed for HDTVs and doesn't support legacy TVs. S-Video is a legacy "Standard-Def" connection. If you are using the switch to connect to an old TV, not worth it. If you are using the switch with an HDTV that doesn't have enough inputs, get a new switch! Using S-Video in between two HD components will ruin the picture.
I know the feeling. I'm a hopefully-soon switcher (tired of XP, and won't do Vista, and ready to dive into OSX). Waiting for my "Stimulus", and was hoping for a MB redesign at WWDC... Just hoping they don't run out of Touches before I get the check...! Tick... tick... tick...
Hey, not a topical response - I'd like to comment on AI's practice of combining several unrelated subjects into a single article. It's bad. I would much prefer several separate, short articles, that way I can jump right to the subject I'm interested in. Even more annoying, the comments on the subjects are jumbled in the same thread. No, it isn't all that hard to skim past the stuff I don't care much about, but is it that hard to post the articles...
Is there a good date prediction for this? Is this likely at the June WWDC, or sometime later this year? I'm planning to pick up a MacBook somewhat soon as my first Mac. I'm tired of XP, avoiding Vista, and Ubuntu isn't quite er, "done" yet. (It's quite good, but inconsistent. on the UI and function.) While I think the current MacBook is fine, it would be good to catch a major update. Colored anodized aluminum could be quite nice, too...
Innovative products aren't made according to the way things are done today. They define the way things will be done tomorrow. Wasn't Apple criticised heavily when they got rid of the floppy disk? Now, the only floppy drive I have between home and work is in a computer that barely runs Windows 98, and hasn't even been turned on in about six months. One of the most common Mac Air complaints is the "hassle" of installing software. I believe the hassle is only...
Huh, I did not know that 720P supported 60Hz. However, according to Wikipedia, it also supports 24, 25, 30, 50, and 60, all as part of the "standard". Not only that, but in the US, 24 fps is normally used for broadcast movies, 60fps is used for sports. Broadcast 1080i is usually 30fps (full-frame) in the US Isn't this thread really about the AppleTV? Accorging to Apple, it only supports 720P at 24fps. Comparing that with a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, even at 24fps, it's still at...
Excellent post! But you missed a BIG one here. 720p (1280x720x30) actually has 44% of the pixels/second as 1080i (1920x(1080/2)x60). That is a MASSIVE difference!What is probably the most important thing to broadcast HD is the compression needed to acheive a target bitrate. A 1080i broadcast needs to be compressed more than 720p to "fit" in the same airspace. I can see that for sports, 720P is be prefereable, as it would be less prone to "breaking up" with action, and...
Poor comparison of "options". A radio or AC doesn't have an overwhelming impact on the size and weight of a car. Also, they are both features that are used on a regular basis by the majority of drivers. Let's compary that Lotus Elise with a Chevy Tahoe. The Lotus simply doesn't have the ability to carry 8 people, 800lbs of cargo, or tow 8,000 lbs. It also doesn't have as much horsepoer or torque. The engine is quite puny, come to think of it. The Chevy has far more...