or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

I don't see what this has to do with television. This is a means of balancing processor loads across multiple processors, including processes that can be performed on the GPU.   Ergo, I believe this patent covers aspects of Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL, both released in Snow Leopard.
I've seen the in-app methods of reporting errors, but they seem limited. So far, I have only seen one error in Apple Maps through personal use. I don't see how I can report this to Apple...?   FYI, The issue is in Lynnwood, WA at Highway 99 and 148th St SW; when travelling southbound on 99 and trying to get to WA-525 southbound, it directs an illegal u-turn. There is a marked u-turn route to take a left on 148th and then 35th to 99 northbound. I have a hard time...
I believe this chip will be near-impossible to "clone", especially since it is already known to do more than authentication. Didn't apple already describe this as "Adaptive Signaling"? Keep in mind how Thunderbolt works: It extends the PCIe bus outside the computer's chassis. An accessory, such as they Thnderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, includes the NIC hardware in the adapter. Thunderbolt does NOT provide NIC fuctionality! Also, remeber that the A6 uses customized ARM...
This may not have had so much to do with location services. Not being a traditional sports fan, I don't spend a lot of time in stadiums, but every time I do I get terrible battery life on my iPhone 4.   I suspect it has more to do with the close proximity of so many phones, overloading the networks, and pushing the signal-to-noise ratio out of whack...
Apple has given software developers months of access to pre-release versions of ML and documentation, so that those developers can verify compatibility or make necessary updates by launch day. If McAfee didn't take advantage of this, that's not Apple's Fault.   I, too, concur that you shouldn't even need this software, especially as ML has added the "Gatekeeper", which adds a new layer of protection against malware. Clearly, McAfee doesn't think this product is very...
Glad to help!   I have not personally run Windows on my Macs, so I can't relate direct experience. I've looked into it a couple of times, but always found a native OS X solution...   Boot Camp is a dual-boot solution, so you can select OS X or Windows at boot time. If you want to switch, you need to then reboot into the other. If you want to frequently switch back and forth or multitask, this is noot good; a virtual machine will leave OS X always running, and you...
As Mr. Me says, Macs have excellent support for programming in C, C++, and Java, and Apple's Xcode software is free. However, I would also check with the faculty of your Computer Engineering department to find out what platforms and tools they recommend.   Instructors may only be familiar with certain programming tools, and might be unable or unwilling to assist with problems if you are using something else. I would expect a school to use Eclipse, which is a free,...
Just last night, I mentioned to my wife that the new Google tablet looks intriguing, and is quite cheap (hint, hint). She responded that she's so happy how all of our stuff works so well together since we switched to Apple that she'd rather wait until we can justify buying an iPad.   Yeah, she's right.
While a great number of people say they want such a thing, the reality is that it would not be a good product, (for the reasons others have mentioned), and would not actually sell. For evidence, just look at the Tablet PC market. Such devices have been available for about 10 years, and have never sold well. The user interface is not designed for use by touch (or stylus), and the current OS and software demands of an x86 CPU means underwhelming performance, high weight,...
I recall a similar furor when it came out that the Chevy Volt will report the battery as empty when it still technically has a 50% charge. It still delivers the all-electric range promised, and continues to run on the gas engine as promised. However, due to the battery technology used, if it is frequently fully depeleted, the battery would have a very short life indeed, and be extremely costly to own. By using a bigger battery, and only using the top 50% of its working...