or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

Even though I am an Amazon Prime member, I have not really made use of their streaming video content. The main reason? I can't get it to my main TV! I have the AppleTV and an Xbox 360 that should be capable. Please? I do have a Roku on a secondary TV in the kitchen, but it doesn't get used as much, and the UI is tedious to browse shows with... I wonder if Amazon is holding back on iOS/AppleTV support to favor their own products such as the Kindle Fire? Or if they...
I'm downsizing our cable bill, and recently got an AppleTV. It's connected to our kitchen TV where we had a Roku and the crappy cable box. So far, I am very impressed! Not a single technical glitch in setup or use so far, and super easy to use. The downside is no Hulu or Pandora, which my wife uses a lot. I will be putting the Roku back along side the Apple TV, and investigating xbmc as well. In our living room, we have an Xbox 360. Frankly, that does a fantastic...
I pre-ordered a 4S for my wife Friday early afternoon (PST). Admittedly, I'm kind of surprised they hadn't officially sold out for first-day delivery yet. Apple has been showing it as "Preparing for Shipment" for several days, but still says it will deliver on the 14th. Not feeling too confident about it... (Fingers crossed)
Note to AT&T: What is undermining your profits is your overpriced texting plans; not iMessage! I have long refused to pay for texting; I simply choose not to use it. I only send if it is an extreme need. If a friend texts me, I will call them back. I will also ask them to call or email next time. I probably average about 2 texts a month. My wife, on the other hand does text, mostly with her sister. She currently has a $5/200 plan. A few months ago, she...
This already sort of exists. Seagate has a Wi-Fi hard drive server that works with iOS (and other mobiles), and can stream media using their app. http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...001a48090aRCRD I can imagine that the concept can be improved upon (integration with the OS for one), but I agree that it seems very awkward to use. Even if you don't have to take it out of your bag to stream from it, you would need to charge it regularly...
True, many specs are used for marketing purposes, and are treated as more = better. However, specifications are ultimately an engineering issue, where optimum = better. Televisions with 120 Hz have a very specific purpose, which is beneficial to the viewer. Video is commonly available in formats that support 30, 60, and 24 frames per second. A common 60 Hz display has to play games (like 3:2 pulldown) in order to play 24fps video. While this is a very effective...
Hmmm. I see a nice row of buttons with no obvious function to them, and while it may be the angle, it looks like there is a stand, or perhaps the fictional device is not actually supposed to be a tablet shape. It actually looks a but more like Samsung's "before iPad" tablets...
I upgraded my wife's MacBook to Lion the evening of the release. For the most part, everything has gone very smoothly. However, Time Machine backups (to a Time Capsule) are often extremely slow. They are also affecting the computer's performance (speed and heat) enough for my wife to complain. I investigated a bit last night, and watched the computer work pretty hard for about 20 minutes on a 2MB backup. That's not right! Most of the time was spent preparing and...
It's clear that few people actually looked at the patent application. This does NOT use image or scene recognition, but adds an infrared sensing capability to the camera, and uses it to search for "encoded data". The device that then do something (or not do something) based on the data. The technology to do this is pretty simple, much like a TV remote control, or a Wiimote. What is new here is that it couples the infrared sensing with a visible-light camera. These...
This isn't really true. In its current implementation, it is built into a separate chip that bridges industry-standard PCIe interfaces to the Thunderbolt interface. See Intel's info. The controller chip is used both in the host (Mac/PC) and in the peripheral device. Certainly, you don't expect a portable hard drive to sport an x86 CPU and chipset, do you? There are some ARM chips that have PCIe interfaces. I don't think anyone outside of Apple knows if the A5 includes...