or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

I upgraded my wife's MacBook to Lion the evening of the release. For the most part, everything has gone very smoothly. However, Time Machine backups (to a Time Capsule) are often extremely slow. They are also affecting the computer's performance (speed and heat) enough for my wife to complain. I investigated a bit last night, and watched the computer work pretty hard for about 20 minutes on a 2MB backup. That's not right! Most of the time was spent preparing and...
It's clear that few people actually looked at the patent application. This does NOT use image or scene recognition, but adds an infrared sensing capability to the camera, and uses it to search for "encoded data". The device that then do something (or not do something) based on the data. The technology to do this is pretty simple, much like a TV remote control, or a Wiimote. What is new here is that it couples the infrared sensing with a visible-light camera. These...
This isn't really true. In its current implementation, it is built into a separate chip that bridges industry-standard PCIe interfaces to the Thunderbolt interface. See Intel's info. The controller chip is used both in the host (Mac/PC) and in the peripheral device. Certainly, you don't expect a portable hard drive to sport an x86 CPU and chipset, do you? There are some ARM chips that have PCIe interfaces. I don't think anyone outside of Apple knows if the A5 includes...
The Apple Newton had a similar layout and predates those...It's called a "Design Patent". A regular utility patent covers novel functional features. A design patent covers purely aesthetic features, i.e., the "look and feel" of a thing. While the article doesn't link to the patent in dispute, the artwork shown from the claim looks like it would be from a design patent, and the Samsung phone is nearly a clone.
Re: My assertion that machine controls are "cheap"Good point - even while I was writing it, I was a bit troubled on how to classify machine controls. I do agree that per unit, COTS machine controls can be very expensive! This is due to the very specialized nature and tiny production runs. However, the non-recurring development costs, and component costs are generally pretty low. Usually, these are not pushing the limits of technology, and the hardware and software are...
Oddly enough, While I don't really agree with MS, I also don't agree with most of the posters here either. The major issue is that one type of machine doesn't necessarily replace another outright. The PC has been the dominant (not not the only) type of computer for many years. "Post-PC" doesn't mean that it is dead, just that it's glory days are over. It isn't going away, and probably will continue to be what most people think of when they hear "computer". To make...
I guess the author meant that the design would feature a large screen and the usual array of buttons. So, the overall design is just like the iPhone 4! And 3GS, and 3G, and original iPhone before it, too! This does looks like the edges would be curved in iPad 2 style, no more "ice cream sandwich"...
1) Tablet PCs have been around for years, running Windows. Microsoft's entire pitch is based the familiarity. More people are familiar with Windows than iOS. By that measure, Apple is a decade late to the party, and yet the only one that most people even know about. Other companies have had scattered tablet-like devices that failed. I recall Nokia touchscreen web-browsing-things a few years ago. (I wouldn't have wanted one if it was free...) 2) "Lucrative" means...
Actually, it's not. Just about every modern operating system implements a graphical user interface, and almost every graphical user interface is designed around a "window" system. Mac OS, Unix/Linux (most distributions), NeXTstep, Amiga OS, BE OS, [...] all have basic user-visible interface elements that are referred to as "windows". Even iOS has "windows", even if they always full screen... So, "window" is a generic term that applies to most operating systems...
Most flash memory specs state 100,000 write cycles or more, which is plenty for most uses. Wear-leveling strategies will move around block of data periodically, so that rarely written files (i.e., OS or application binaries) and frequently-written files (swap files, business databases) even wear out the device and extent the usable life span.