or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

Currently, we have a MacBook and a Mini, and both are backup up to a Time Capsule. I am pretty comfortable with this for coverage of the typical crashed hard drive, or stupid mistakes. However, it won't really help if something worse happens such as a fire or theft. Loss of all our family photos and home videos would be devastating! I am considering using an offsite backup service, and wondering what experiences other people have had, and the best way to use...
I agree. I like the general shape (and features), but the obvious seams and screws seem out of place to me, and the round buttons seem out of place on an iPhone. I'm sure Apple has built several prototypes to evaluate different aspects of the design, including features as well as aesthetics. While is very well could be a 4G prototype, it may not match the final product. I posted the other day saying that I thought the 4G would be a mild update. I hope I am wrong! This...
Apple has already done the tech preview for iPhone OS 4, and the SDK is in the hands of developers now. This covers the vast majority of what would be needed for updated apps. My own guess on the hardware is a mild update from a user perspective. Same or similar shell, revised internals using a custom Apple CPU slotted below the A4 but above the current 3GS CPU. Selling points: More storage per $, longer battery life, ships with OS 4.
I, too am an SACD fan. If I could get SACD quality from iTunes, I would be buying a LOT of music... Like SACD, the ideal downloadable format would have lossless compressed DSD-like multi-channel and stereo versions, plus a smaller compressed version for use on an iPod.
My thoughts, too. Last week I finally replaced my old PC with a Mac Mini and went Windows-free at home. As I was going through the hard drive for important files, my only small regret was that I had a few unfinished Steam games. I have no intention of using the Mini for heavy gaming; that's what the Xbox is for. But it will be nice if I can just re-download my purchased games for OSX!
The word "unibody" does not refer to a process of milled metal - it refers to a design where the external main case and structural frame are one and the same part. Previously laptops would have an assembly of parts that together create the structure that holds everything together, provide the needed strength and stiffness, and for the exterior case. The Unibody MacBooks have *one* part that does all of this. The term comes from the automotive industry. Most modern...
Assuming this does go through, of course: One thing I liked about Steam was the ability to re-download a game you had previously purchased, even to a different PC. I wonder if they would let you download a Mac version if you had purchased the PC version, or if they will be two separate products? I had purchased a few older games on Steam that I never finished. I went Windows-free last weekend with the purchase of a Mac Mini. () Loss of those games was my only...
Currently my storage needs are modest, easily under 500GB. My photos are collecting, and I expect to be doing home video, including HD in the future. I'm mostly concerned with reliability with a budget, not capacity or super performance. The appeal of the Drobo is the ability to start small (i.e., a pair of 1TB drives), and then grow the capacity as I need it. Getting it fully stocked out of the gate negates that benefit...Those look sweet indeed, but hard to...
This sounds like non-critical storage, in that everything on it is already duplicated (i.e., keeping the original DVDs). As such failure of the drive, while annoying and a lot of work to recreate, is not an end-of-the-world scenario. A cheap external USB drive should work just fine, for around $100.
Does anyone have experience using a Drobo on a Mac? I'm considering one for upgradeable long-term storage - probably the the basic 4-bay with use FW800. Any issues or tricks to be aware of? @BJNY, it seems the DroboShare can do that...