or Connect

Posts by mbmcavoy

Assuming this does go through, of course: One thing I liked about Steam was the ability to re-download a game you had previously purchased, even to a different PC. I wonder if they would let you download a Mac version if you had purchased the PC version, or if they will be two separate products? I had purchased a few older games on Steam that I never finished. I went Windows-free last weekend with the purchase of a Mac Mini. () Loss of those games was my only...
Currently my storage needs are modest, easily under 500GB. My photos are collecting, and I expect to be doing home video, including HD in the future. I'm mostly concerned with reliability with a budget, not capacity or super performance. The appeal of the Drobo is the ability to start small (i.e., a pair of 1TB drives), and then grow the capacity as I need it. Getting it fully stocked out of the gate negates that benefit...Those look sweet indeed, but hard to...
This sounds like non-critical storage, in that everything on it is already duplicated (i.e., keeping the original DVDs). As such failure of the drive, while annoying and a lot of work to recreate, is not an end-of-the-world scenario. A cheap external USB drive should work just fine, for around $100.
Does anyone have experience using a Drobo on a Mac? I'm considering one for upgradeable long-term storage - probably the the basic 4-bay with use FW800. Any issues or tricks to be aware of? @BJNY, it seems the DroboShare can do that...
What about some of the other Office apps? I haven't been able to use it much, but Infopath has a lot of potential for office use, and I've heard good things about OneNote. I read elsewhere that this version will bring back support for VBA. (hooray!) What about VSTO? I don't expect to be able to develop on a Mac, but a Mac user should be able to use plug-ins and documents that use it. Between Silverlight and Mono, such things seem quite possible. Unfortunately,...
As others have pointed out, the iPhone OS *does* support multitasking, albeit in a very limited way. What's even more important is that it supports multi-threading. Each app can and probably should have multiple threads. Example: If you don't spin off a thread for network access, the user interface will lock up until it is complete, making the user wonder if it crashed. Granted the background thread waiting for the network isn't exactly hogging the CPU, and on a...
I happen to have an Epson (inkjet) and Lexmark (laser) printer at home - when I saw both updates I figured it was a blanket printer driver fix, and had low hopes. However, the update has fixed the color issues with my Epson R200. I can now print photos or other color directly without having to jump through Windows, transferring files, etc. That was literally the *only* real problem I have had with Snow Leopard - Resolved! Thank you!
Generally speaking, it is a circuit that takes a wimpy analog signal (from a D/A converter circuit, for example), and makes a strong signal capable of driving headphones or speakers.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier
I believe him. - "core Vista technology" = the Windows kernal - "current Mac platform" = What you get in the box with your Mac; OS X, iLife, iTunes, countless utilities...
I'm hardly a server expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any point. As "Mac Mini Server" refers to a piece of hardware, no, it cannot be virtualized. It is also my understanding that "OS X Server", Apple's server OS is not licensed for virtualization, although it has been done in the hackintosh community. However, it is possible for the Mac Mini Server (or any Mac) to act as a host for virtual machines running non-OS X operating systems (Windows/Linux),...