or Connect

Posts by physguy

Just to clarify two points here 1) Snow Leopard still has PPC binaries for Rosetta, which is still supported. Just go to any system framework, for example, and do 'file CoreFoundataion' for example and you get... CoreFoundation (for architecture x86_64)tMach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64 CoreFoundation (for architecture i386)tMach-O dynamically linked shared library i386 CoreFoundation (for architecture ppc7400)tMach-O dynamically linked shared library...
They're not a producer and they are supposed to be coop - existing for the benefit of their owners which are their customers - at least that the theory.In terms of the costs incurred for the value they add (distribution, retail, etc.) I don't think they are a cost+ business. I don't know what there margin is once you take out the costs of good purchased (what they sell). The cost + 15% in only on item they pass through. For margins to compare to Apple you need to...
The perfect example of someone who doesn't buy for value to themselves but based on perceived cost. What is the value of your time or your pleasure? (buying for work or entertainment respectively). This is what should set what you're willing to pay - not the cost of the item. Cost should enter the equation on in terms of 'is there a business here' - a reason for someone to provide the product or service for your need or 'in there a better business here' - competition -...
The speed race is NOT about loading Web pages - as rightly pointed out the differences are becoming meaningless - but it IS about running Web apps. Here is where javascript optimizations at the currently level are hugely important. Go look at the Google Wave demo vid to understand what is possible inside html5/JS/Etc.
XML is just a standard or tool without method or application (a hammer not a house) which can be used to implement the methods of this patent. As such I can't see XML itself as a violation.
This won't 'kill' anything. This is about money, not killing a given format/approach. MS makes tons of money from using this patent. If it continues to go against them they will be forced to license the patent for $$$. The body controlling ODF would also then have to consider a license. The $$ for that license need not be (nor would likely be) the same cost as MS as the controlling body doesn't make (much) money from the invention. This would be up to i4i. They...
Reading the patent I would say this one may have legs. First, it is a specific implementation method for document/formatting separation. Second, the priority data - 1994 - is early enough that I couldn't dispute it as being original at the time. The patent is quite well written and reasonable to read.
You do realize that that is exactly what Apple did do. If you read Gruber's account and then Shiller's response there is NO conflict between the two accounts. The published letter of rejection from apples states exactly what Shiller stated and there is nothing in Gruber's article to indicate that Apple told them to censor the dictionary, just to wait until 3.0 to allow the 17+ check box.
As one who has been quoted as an officer of a public company and has also written these releases for public companies these quotes are usually crafted by PR or marketing or some committee (sometimes the person quoted). Then the person to whom the quote is attributed approves it for release. These are almost never an actual spontaneous quote.
Yes it is, very much so. Search is great especially with mail where I can search the server (very quick), as is copy and paste ( no jail braking required). Calendars by themselves are worth so much more. I can now subscribe to my home calDav calendar (courtesy of Apple's open source) as well as my Google calendar and others subscribed calendars. Push notification is also well worth it. The AIM push so far is excellent. The minor tweaks to Stocks are also excellent...