or Connect

Posts by Dunks

I'm pretty sure the "3D" tech in Amazon's smartphone will basically be a commercial implementation of this tech demo from 2007 except tracking your eyes directly instead of requiring an a pair of infrared light sources stuck to your head.     It's not true 3D but I find the illusion even better and it' much easier on the eyes. Seems resource intensive for a mobile device but it still strikes me as odd that no-one has really pursued this until now. Of course the...
The thing I am most looking forward to in iOS 8 is installing any keyboard that makes the dictation key less prone to activating unintentionally.
Although none of those "features" actually exist in a device you can use until Google solves the malware problem.
I'd love to see some of the nicer iOS 7 design cues migrate their way into OS X. I'm talking hyperlink-style buttons, outlined icons with the same visual weighting as text and generally elegant typography. The iCloud interface for Pages, Numbers and Keynote feel like the perfect blend of iOS 7 and OS X.
 Trying to manage media on an 8 GB iPhone would be my definition of hell. Given the 2x (and now potentially 3x) graphics assets bundled into every app anything under 32 GB quickly becomes unusable for all the reasons you might actually need to purchase a smartphone. Considering the markup on flash memory this comes across as a cynical move. Instead of pushing a subpar experience onto new users I'd really love to see Apple focus on getting the cost of the higher end models...
It would be amazing if they let me remove the dictation microphone from the keyboard without turning off Siri, or at least change the button to hold to activate. I activate it unintentionally ALL THE TIME and it makes that stupid "ding ding" sound even when the phone is on silent.
It could be argued that technically a sim ejector tool is not itself an "electronic" device.
 I wonder what a correlation between this list of countries and local precedents on intellectual property theft would look like?
I hope Apple shuts this down hard. Everything about this has been lifted straight from Apple's designs, trade dress and brand voice. This is about promising the experience of an Apple device at half the price. It won't deliver on the promise but the consumer isn't going to know that until Apple have been robbed of a sale. I understand now why Apple is constantly pushing for ever thinner form factors. It's one of the only things copycats can't achieve using off-the-shelf...
 Exactly. I have very fond memories of nintendo consoles and games but the resistive, single-point-of-contact touchscreen display was the nail in the coffin for me. They needed to make the online store more like the App Store. Thousands of 99c games instead of a handful of mediocre releases on a weekly schedule. If they had pared back all the crazy, gimmicky peripherals, made it HD and cheap (basically an Amazon Fire TV backed up with their NES/SNES library and Nintendo...