or Connect

Posts by joelsalt

Considering Apple spend a billion dollars (i presume) setting up the unibody manufacturing process, I don't think its out of the question to see a "unibody" mac mini: it could be what is taking so long (and also could explain that the video that surfaced could be a prototype that got dumped b/c they went "solid block"). I agree it adds to the cost, but at the current price points i think the margins (which must be damn near 100%) could absorb it. I'm not sure of the real...
Well, the black I think is to reduce glare (its always around displays) so I don't even see why the mini would need it, except to "match." Why not all silver like the air?
Do EDU discounts apply to products bought IN a physical Apple Store? We don't have one here, but i'm heading on a trip to a place where they do (and also have way less tax), and curious if i can expect getting the EDU discount on an iMac at the apple store there.
How about a price drop and an aluminum enclosure? Judging by Apple's operations lately, expect it late 2011.
True. I would, along with others probably, rather a mac mini (renamed simply "mac) than an iMac. The new monitor suggests integration-ability that could make it an imac if you so choose, and add the flexibility of upgrading and/or using a different monitor/multiple monitors etc. If the mac mini were redesigned to somehow fit into the monitor seamlessly etc., seems like the iMac could be a useless product (and morph into the iLCDTV?)
Apple laptops are everywhere.
the fact that 80% of windows users still use XP and the fact they ADVERTISE you can REVERT back to XP after buying Vista does, in my opinion, make it a failure. A colossal one even. It doesn't mean its a useless OS. My dad uses it and I get by just fine on it. But in the computer world where everything moves so quickly, to release something and advertise a move BACKWARD is pretty much a failure.
Well the Air doesn't have an optical drive -- but in MacBooks or (possibly, though perhaps less likely) MBPs they could certainly get much longer battery life. I'm curious, does the Air use Unibody and Lithium-Polymer batteries, i.e. did they get it BEFORE the macbook pros and Apple just did not bring it up until the MBPs came out?
I was assuming people would notice ... things like speed / usefulness with cores/gpus with opencl grand central; it just wouldn't be fancy new features, but still noticeable through its increased speed/security. Also, my favourite part of that article was seeing how applications, like AOL, fell out of use between 2001 and 2006.
ignoring the obvious, Dell would not pay 400 dollars per box. In many cases that would be as much as the computer already costs. I'm no economics major so i can't say definitively. I just have a sneaking suspicion that they can't play the OS X license game and expect to make more money than they are now. The economics would more closely be tied to a large license, i.e. 100 million or some large number to offer it on all (specific?) models. Doing that would completely...