or Connect

Posts by Reaperducer

This, like so many other innovations at C.E.S., are the fulfilment of Steve Jobs’ long prediction that computers will eventually disappear into the background and we won’t even notice them anymore.   Also, I’m not sure why people are whining about the price.  I guess they’ve never priced an LED light bulb, a Bluetooth speaker, and the value that comes from there being no power cord to hide.  For people who don’t live in dorms or basements, having speakers without having...
Thanks to the moderator for moving this to a more appropriate category.  I put it in General because I wasn't sure where else it should go.   On a related note -- Christmas is politics now?  Hey, it's your forum -- I won't argue.
I noticed today that when I log in to my British iTunes account on my iPhone that the header reads "Christmas."  But when I switch back to the American account, it reads "Holiday."   Lame.  Especially considering there aren't any Hanukkah apps in that category (Eid is long over), so there's no reason to call it "Holiday."  Is there some atheist middle manager at Apple in California who thinks he's going to magically burst into a fit of Bible-thumping and foot-washing...
Internet sharing works great here. Probably once a week I share my Clear signal over wifi. Occasionally I'll share my wifi signal over Firewire. Everything works perfectly. Sorry you're having problems, but maybe try to go beat that dead horse in the appropriate thread, instead of bringing it up everywhere you go. People might respect your opinion on the matter more, and not automatically think you're a lunatic looking for attention.
Yeah, because that's really keeping enterprise and SMB from using Amazon's cloud. Oh, wait... SMB doesn't want another damned box to worry about. It wants the cloud to make everything magical fairy go away. Apple's interest in SMB is only passing anyway. Maybe some day there will be iCloud for enterprise, but with only 5GB of storage, it's not enough even for small businesses like the ones I own.
Not just other devices, but on OS X, itself. I used to use a program under Tiger called Proximisync that would detect the Bluetooth signal from my Ericsson phone when I would come home, and automatically sync wirelessly. It was a great program (when it worked). And this was way back in the days of the Palm Pilot! For this kid to feel ripped off is stupid. Somehow it never occurred to him that his app was rejected because Apple was already working on the functionality in...
I'm with him, and also a shareholder. If Apple can ship a Lion install for 50 cents worth of bandwidth instead of $4.00 worth of packaging and material, then screw the edge cases. it's also the "green" solution, so we can save the dying gay baby whales. Or something.
But... but... but... Britons on the internet (see Slashdot, Fark, et.al.) have been crowing for years that their internet is faster, cheaper, and more ubiquitous than in the United States. Do you mean that your country is really as backwards as the actual statistics indicate? Caps are your problem, not Apple's. You made the choice of getting cheap internet service. I have a 13 megabit Clear connection, so according to this web site, I'll download it in about 40 minutes....
Be more specific, so I can prove you wrong. Or, here's a solution for all those who would pay a premium for a disc -- spend $1.00 on a short coffee at one of the 4,000 Starbucks locations across America and use the free wifi. Or spend 49 cents on an ice cream cone at one of the 14,000 McDonald's locations across the country and use the wifi there. If you won't pony up 49 cents, then enjoy your Altair. I've been all around northeast Indiana. If you can't find a...
Rural doesn't necessarily mean connection-challenged. There are lots of places in the wide-open spaces that have great internet connectivity. I think of my parent's place in extreme remote upstate New York, a friend's place that is actually off the grid (he uses satellite internet) on the Minnesota-Canada border, and a place I used to live in New Mexico that had more lizards than people. I think the number of Americans for whom this is actually going to be a problem...