or Connect

Posts by svnipp

I have a McPro3,1 and I'm seriously ready for a graphics card upgrade. I have the GeForce 8800 GT currently and it's been a great card but is definitely getting a little long in the tooth. I'm considering picking up the ATI 5770 since there is simply no way to justify the $450 for the 5870. However, I'm wondering what upgrade options might be available with the next Mac Pro refresh. Any guesses on what the next MacPro video card options might be? I figure I've dealt...
I have an older Early 2008 MacPro. I wonder if there are any kind of upgrades available for it? I've been debating between trying the ATI 6870 video card and just springing the extra money for the Apple ATI 5770. The performance is about the same from what I've read, but the price is significantly different. I've also read that some users have great luck with the PC 6870 and for others it's hit and miss. Any firmware updates or anything for the MacPro3,1 that would...
Great points here, but I would argue that Apple has an even bigger reason for not using SAS drives. GREEN. Spinning these things up at 15k has got to take a LOT more juice than spinning a disk at less that half that speed. This is the reason that they offer the SSD drives for those with the money, they are very green in terms of power consumption.
At least give us something to compare to... WD Velociraptor 10k 300GB = $104.99 Pretty much the fastest drive you can find that will drop straight into an iMac or Mac Pro. Yeah, the guy touting the SAS drives apparently has money to burn.
I'm not sure what the original poster's intent may have been, but I would agree that this refresh was very predictable. That said, this appears to be a very smokin' refresh. Actually, if you are going to be adding RAM, you can get an 8GB upgrade for $100 and this is absolutely the option I would go for.Now I really LIKE this idea. If only I had the funds to buy the new iMac, RAID box, and SSD drives that would be something very cool to play around with. Launching apps...
This does sound like it would be the way to go to me too. Since Apple is limited to using a mobile chipset due to heat concerns, this option would seriously up the ante on the iMac being a gaming capable system that can actually be gamer friendly for the entire 3+ year lifespan of the system. Maybe next time, but somehow I doubt it.
I know that the argument here was getting 8GB of RAM, but... If you were going to upgrade to 8GB, it would really be pretty foolish not to go ahead and go to 12GB. Right now you can get the 4GB upgrade for just under $50 and the 8GB upgrade for $95. More importantly though is the fact that if you decide later you need/want more than 8GB you now have to toss RAM if you go with only the 4GB upgrade. To make it even worse, if you went with the 4GB upgrade and decided to...
I wish that I could say the same on the service issue. My first Mac was a 2008 Mac Pro, and I have had the logic board go out and the video card go out. Fortunately, both of these occurred before the warranty expired. Currently I'm having two other issues that I believe are software related and this is that the system shuts down whenever it goes to sleep, and the keyboard detection pops up on every boot. Once Lion comes out I'll start over with a clean install and that...
Get it done right, or get it in time for this summer??? I want them to get it done right in time for this summer. Guess I'm just kind of anxious for a new iPhone. My 3GS is starting to show it's age, and this one was swapped out by Apple maybe 6 months or so ago when the external volume increase button stopped working. I really don't want to get an iPhone 4 and be locked into 2 years before I can upgrade, but... Oh well. I guess we'll all find out in another...
I recently picked up Windows 7 and set this up on my Mac Pro. Prior to this I had a dual boot configuration working fine with Snow Leopard and Windows XP. Now I have a third boot option which is Win 7 and in the beginning everything was fine. Unfortunately now I have an odd issue... When I go into System Preferences -> Startup Disk and select to restart using either the Windows XP volume or the Win 7 volume it boots XP. I can hold down the CRTL key on boot and boot...