or Connect

Posts by svnipp

Hey...  Huffington Post is down.  I never thought that a major hurricane like Sandy could actually be the cause of some good.  :)
  I think part of the argument is that there are numerous "potential" threats that we "could" protect against.  How do we decide which of these is something worth protecting against, and as you pointed out just how much are we willing to invest for that protection?  For instance, should we spend hundreds of billions or trillions of dollars in an attempt to protect ourselves against the cosmic shooting gallery thru which we travel (aka asteroids)?  Let's face it, there is...
  No, it's fundamentally different.  Movement from point A to point B has generally been perceived as a right of all free people.  Sure, today we have some toll roads but there are, with few exceptions, alternative options to paying the tolls.  Your proposal would be that any time I decide to go anywhere whatsoever I must pay someone simply for the right to travel from point A to point B, whether I'm going on vacation across country, out to a movie, or to the grociery...
  This is really something I don't understand...  If Romney is leading with independents by 20 points, how in the world is he not leading in the polls by dramatically more?  Unless the breakout in Ohio is absurdly Democratic, like 40% Democratic, shouldn't Romney be leading by at least 5 or more points?   Beyond the party breakdown, Romney has a 6% likeability advantage over Obama, and leads Obama with men by 14 points and trails with women by only 8 points.  Romney leads...
  I sure hope that this storm doesn't end up here in the political forums.  Unfortunately, it very well may.
  Give him a break.  BR knows that he can't answer the question because there is no excuse for the way that the administration is playing politics with this.  Obama knows that the bulk of the press is going to simply eat up whatever he is serving without question.  That means that he can simply blame the video rather than owning up to the fact that this was a planned terrorist attack because that flies in the face of his narrative on terrorism that the US has dealt it a...
  OK...  I'll concede that Obama called the Benghazi attack on 9/11/2012 an "act of terror".  Now, on this concession, can we move the discussion along to the next days and weeks?  Obama called the Benghazi attack on 9/11 an "act of terror".  There should be no denial of this fact, and the President showed great leadership in acknowledging this and stating that the US will hunt down the perpetrators.   Now, why did Hillary Clinton that same day link this attack to a...
  I've never understood the whole obsession with this wealth/income inequality shtick.  I really don't care what Bill Gates or Warren Buffett make.  Their billions don't mean that I can't make a decent living, in fact I would argue that their billions actually help me to make a decent living.  The economy is not a zero sum game, which is what this whole income inequality argument seems to be based around.  Not to mention that the standard of living for the "poor" in this...
  I'm not arguing that an opinion based upon a religious belief should have more value than any other opinion.  Some on this forum just seem to feel that if a belief could even be based upon religious belief then it should not be given any value at all.  A religious basis for a belief does not grant any intrinsic value to the belief, nor does it detract from that value either.  Religion is simply factored into a person's beliefs the same way as other personal experiences...