or Connect

Posts by svnipp

Well, I'm certainly not going to be upset if Apple is including something like this in the new OS X. Personally, I think that NO OS is immune, and as Apple continues to gain market share it will become a more attractive target. I always tell people that Mac's aren't immune to viruses, it's just that Unix is an inherently more secure OS than anything ever developed in Redmond. Anyway, I converted myself to a Mac about 18 months ago. Switched over the mother-in-law...
Hey... The iMac is due for an update too. With all the expectations swirling around the MBP, it would be a pretty big surprise to see a new iMac update come rolling out. Just a thought.
I'm reluctant to put my foot into this but... Teckstud you are definitely being misleading. Are you a marketing major or something? I think the general marketing strategy for new products be it computers, cars, houses, whatever, is to list the starting price of the item. Granted, most of these advertising commercials have a disclaimer indicating that this is a starting price, but I think the general consumer has learned over the years that an advertised price on an...
WOW!!! I just ordered my first Mac this past weekend and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Seeing all of these posts however has me more than a bit nervous. I'm almost wondering if my long agonized over decision to finally make the switch was in error? The encouraging thing is that I haven't seen anyone post that they are fed up with Apple and going to go buy a PC to replace their Mac with. Now I'm wondering if my new Mac will arrive with 10.5.1 or 10.5.2? I...
Well... I have returned rather empty handed. Unfortunately, I was informed at the Apple store that the single processor Mac Pro is also a special order item and they do not have them in the stores. This means that my only option is to order online or over the phone from Apple directly. I'm a bit disappointed, but that's the way it goes. Anyway, I picked up "The Missing Manual" as something to maybe keep me busy while I way for my shiny new Mac Pro to arrive. I'm...
I am heading to the local Apple store in a few hours to buy my very first Mac. I'll be getting a Mac Pro with a single Quad core, and the rest is just the standards. I intend to upgrade the memory, and I'm wondering exactly what I need to buy. My intention is to get a 4GB kit if 6GB of memory is a valid configuration on the Mac Pro. From reading, I think I need to get DDR2 PC-6400 ECC RAM, but this is very difficult to locate on pricewatch.com. My plan is to go get...
I have been hunting around for any information on the next iMac update. I have found some information that it is impending, but nothing significant other than that. I'm really curious since I would be willing to go this route if the video gets an upgrade, hopefully to a GeForce 8 series. Anyone seen any information on the likely changes on the iMac? Any links to spy/insider info on what changes for the next iMac are likely to be? I have seen this kind of info...
Actually, the Mac Pro I'm looking at is the 2.8GHz with only a single quad-core which reduces the cost by $500. I'm looking at upgrading this from the default 2GB to 4GB which eats back up the $500, and then also upgrading to the GeForce 8800 graphics card for the gaming side. I feel that the memory and graphics are MUCH more valuable for my uses than a second quad core processor. Anyone have any disagreement that for a general purpose/gaming system 8 cores is a complete...
Hey there all... I just registered and I'm hoping to find some really encouraging information here. Let me give you guys a quick background so you know where I'm coming from prior to posting my questions... I'm 37, and have been an HPUX admin for about the past 15 years. I have a LOT of Unix experience, and also Linux experience. In the past I have participated heavily in Linux advocacy and even wrote some articles for the linux.com website. Prior to my Unix years,...