or Connect

Posts by svnipp

Nice debate analysis.  One area I think you are giving Romney too much credit in was the first debate strategy of "Deal Obama a blow so severe that could not recover."  Romney was really good in the first debate, but the fact that Obama was SO bad is what turned the debate from a win to a "severe" beating.  I think it's like a team in the playoffs.  If you pound out a fantastic first half, you can play a little more cautious and conservative in the second half so as not...
  You mentioned exactly the problem.  The legal framework for polygamy would be a nightmare to workout.  How would assets be divided in the instance of the death of a spouse?  Does this differ if it's the death of the single male with multiple wives where he is the primary financial support as opposed to one of the wives (or vice versa in the event of a female with multiple husbands)?  If a man has more than one wife, how does tax filing work?  Is she simply a dependent? ...
  The funny thing here is I was doing a little research and reading on the beloved and model Clinton era.  How wonderful everything was under the Clinton tax rates.  How they balanced the budget and everything was just a bed of roses for everyone everywhere...   One interesting note on that is the fact that things really didn't start to boom until his second term.  I believe this was after like 3 years of his magical tax increases on the rich.  It was definitely after the...
  This particular issue is what I've been looking for in the first IOS6 update.  Whenever I get a call on my phone in my car when I answer the phone the radio comes back on for 4 seconds.  Then the phone kicks back on and I can talk to whoever is calling me.  It's seriously annoying, and not BS.   This is in a new 2012 Camry XLE. 
  I've always loved the argument about what Jesus would do.  Liberals love to throw this up as if it's the most obvious fallacy of conservatism that could be cited.  The problem with this is that charity, what I assume they are talking about in terms of Jesus, is entirely determined by the intent of the giver.  TAKING money from people to help the less fortunate is NOT charity.  You could call it compassionate, or you could equally call it thievery.   If given the option...
  Ah...  You are referring to Obama's poll numbers collapsing.  I assumed you were referring to his performance in the debates.    I agree that his poll numbers have tanked impressively.  Hopefully this is still going to be underestimating of the actual outcome.  I see the outside chance that Romney could carry 40 states, and that would be really awesome.  It would be even more awesome if his win carries over to down-ballot races and flipped the Senate as well as retained...
  I would assume that you then also support polygamy?  I don't see any reason that if we are going to as a society change the definition of marriage to extend to same-sex couples we can continue to maintain the legal ban on polygamy.  Please don't give me that "slippery slope" crap because you know that if same-sex marriage were to be made legal in the US that there would be numerous suits brought about pertaining to polygamy.  So, I say again that I assume you are in...
  If only that were true.  Yeah, he collapsed during the first debate but he has been fine in the other 2 debates.  I wouldn't say he has been exceptional, and most of the stuff that has Bergermeister and the likes foaming at the mouth is really only fuel for his base and I don't think it really does much for him with independents.  This election is going to be either really close or Romney is going to have a BIG win.  If undecides do indeed break for the challenger...
One question I have for those who are convinced about man made global warming...  According to the data from the Wiki link CO2 has gone up by something like 40% over the past 100 or so years.  Shouldn't we have seen a more dramatic temperature increase than the .6C or whatever the number is for the past 100 or so years?  I'm actually fairly agnostic on this particular issue, though I lean toward not believing the global warming argument.  The biggest reason I have for...
  Well, I don't know the historical data from almost 3/4 of a century ago, but how about the fact that the top 1% makes 17% of the income.  That does seem quite unfair, doesn't it?  How is it that the top 1% makes so much money?  I think Obama is correct and we should make sure that the rich pay their fair share.  The top 1% only pays 37% of all Federal income tax!!!  How dare they!!!  Proportionally the top 1% is paying only slightly more than double their "fair share". ...