or Connect

Posts by svnipp

Actually, I thought the debate was pretty even and I would guess it a draw.   I thought the most potentially devastating bit was one that caught Romney completely off-guard and he failed to knock out of the park.  That is when Obamalied about calling the Libya incident a terror attack the next day in the Rose Garden.  Of course it was a closing remark that definitely appeared to be speaking in generalities as opposed to the specific incident on 9/11.  Romney just...
  Nicely put.  The other issue if we want to keep on with the alcoholic analogy is that he has got to want help first.  If he is not willing to go into a program nobody can force him to and even if they could there is no way it would be successful.   If we can get America out of the bar maybe then we can have the discussion about getting us out of the bottle.  Personally, one good way to do this is point out to the American population just how much government we could...
  Even if I agreed with you on your analogy concerning short term it's just not going to happen until it lands on our face and starts to wiggle.  That is the nature of government and societies.  Just look at Greece and Spain as an example.  The writing is on the wall there and still the populace is fighting it tooth and nail in the streets.  Unfortunately, if we are indeed on the verge of financial calamity, I'm afraid the axe is going to have to fall before we as a...
Let me say right now...  Irregardless of how the debate turns out I think this is the least useful of the debates.  The format does not allow for follow-ups or any back and forth between the candidates.  If Obama or Romney throws out something off the wall or blatant red meat, there is to be no chance for a rebuttal?  For instance if Obama talks about Romney's $5 trillion tax cut for the rich, then it's just supposed to stand without any attempt by Romney to clarify it. ...
  A couple things...  The first is that you refer to our "meddlesome, interventionist foreign policy".  The US is a player in a world market upon a world stage.  The US has a vested interest in what happens in various areas around the world.  In being able to protect and support those interests we need to be able to respond with aid and force when necessary to a variety of situations which can and do arise.  Yes, I agree that the US is doing TO much, but Ron Paul would...
  Great post.
  I never said they wouldn't.   I totally agree with your assessment on the limited government.  How do you propose we get there?  The third party route is pretty much a deadend.  We have tried that path before and it has never gotten anywhere.  I keep looking back to Ross Perot, and all that really got us was Clinton who really wasn't that bad of a President, at least he was WAY better than what we are stuck with at the moment.  My contention isn't that we don't need...
  Actually, if you look at the charts that the minnesota.publicradio.org site has which include cooling periods it looks like we are overdue for a cooling period anyway.  It seems that the cooling periods last about 20 years, so woohoo.   I'm really not sure where the tabloid got anything just dramatically wrong here.  Yeah, I'll give you that it appears they overstated the nature of the released report and made it sound like some kind of coverup conspiracy but that's...
  You make it sound as if this is some shocking revelation.  This was a dark time in American history.  As the article pointed out, it may very well have achieved the goal of cowing the Russians, but at what price.  America has it's share of things to not be proud of sprinkled throughout our history, but point me to a country that doesn't have issues in it's past that it regrets.  Greater atrocities have been committed, but this one is pretty high on the list.
  Unfortunately, a successful test is likely the only demonstration that we are likely to get.  I believe that both seismic and EMP signals are a giveaway to a successful nuclear detonation.  Neither of these exist without success, so how would we even detect a failed test.  The only way we would even know of a failed test is if Iran were to announce either their intentions or their failed results, neither of which I think they would be likely to do.   The options don't...