or Connect

Posts by Virgil-TB2

I understand where you are coming from and I don't dismiss Linux entirely, but in the context of a good consumer friendly OS for something as low-end as a phone, I don't think Linux of any variety is going to succeed. It's main flaw is the very fact that it's completely open and a work of many hands. This often leads to confusing, overly complex GUI's that never strike out into "unknown territory" and never quite rid themselves of all the bugs and confusion because the...
This is almost a perfect description of the attitude and state of the Linux community in general though. Each year brings a new uber-cool "flavour" of Linux which solves many of the problems last years flavour, by establishing more control and more rules over what gets into the distro or not. Then next year there's a new flavour, and those in control of last year's flavour have relinquished some of their control in hopes of getting the community to solve some of it's...
No. You are mixing Apples and Oranges again. Intel sells hardware which is specifically intended, and sold under the understanding that it will be used in various ways in different machines that do various things. Software is more like a book or a painting. It's not a thing that you buy, but a work that you licence the right to reproduce. In this case it's also sold with the explicit understanding, (by way of the license you agree to when you buy it), that it won't be...
That copyright suit is a bit crazy considering that Apple already settled with that person over the original use of the image in their own advertising. Sure, it's dumb that no one noticed the image in the i.TV app (horrible app BTW), but to not name the author of the app who actually did the infringing is wacko to say the least. Also, why not just tell Apple about it who would tell the developer to take it off? Are they implying that Apple has refused to do so? ...
I am not a moderator here, but I've moderated other forums and I can tell that you've obviously never moderated a forum yourself. There is a value to getting the OP to recognise that they posted something in bad taste. There is also a value in highlighting exactly the kind of thing that *is* in bad taste for the rest of the subscribers. Censorship, in the way of direct deletion of comments is always the *last* step to take, and it's better to not censor at all than it...
This was my first thought also. The reason this person over-reacted, is because the tech media has created an aura of blame around Apple, the app store, and the approval process. By constantly publishing these "irate developer gets rejected" stories and passing them around, the perception is created that there is a systemic problem when if you look closer, there really isn't. Then the first time anything goes wrong, people leap to conclusions based on everything...
Don't forget it's also the only country to have kicked the US's ass in a war, invaded your soil all the way to the Mississippi and burned the White House to the ground. Just Sayin.
Actually you can walk by any coffee shop even in the poorest parts of town (where I live of course), and see at least 40/60, Macs vs. PCs in use at any one time. Canadians are generally more progressive than US citizens and usually a bit more open to trying something new given that it's a "newer" country than the US, that also changes faster than the US. The poorer citizens just buy second-hand Macs.
Shouldn't this article read: "Palm hired ... failed product designer Jon Rubinstein, and disgraced former chief financial officer Fred Anderson?" The way I heard it, Rubenstein was the guy arguing (very forcefully) that the iPhone would be a better device if it used Linux instead of OS-X, and Fred Anderson got caught cooking the books.
Despite Microsoft's constant talk about "innovation" and the fact that they spend far more money on R&D than Apple, it's always been pretty clear which company is *really* the hotbed of new ideas and inventions.