or Connect

Posts by Virgil-TB2

iChat is a perfect example of how Apple doesn't do social networking very well at all. I chat all the time and have various handles on various services, but as a MobileMe member I cannot use iChat without using my only real email address as my handle which is connected to all the pieces of myself I would want to keep *off* a social network situation. I have a RL professional profile to maintain which is attached to my MobileMe account and all that is tied up with my...
As a MobileMe user I have to disagree with this. It may be expensive, and it certainly has limited functionality, but it is most definitely "top of it's class" in terms of usability and the manner in which the things it does have are implemented. There are free alternatives for each part of the MobileMe service but to categorise the necessary struggle with implementing and integrating all those multiple alternatives into your life as being in a "better class" than...
I think it's kind of funny how the only two things that Zune has over iPod that could be considered iPod "missing features" (things that Apple's customers would actually like to see), are not being touted at all in the marketing of the Zune HD so far. By this I'm referring to the built in "social" and the OLED screen. The secret of good competitive marketing is to either ignore or lie about the things your product is missing and focus on the few things that yours has...
Great Points, but I don't think the issue of NAND pricing or availability will have any impact at all in this situation. The difference between Apple's NAND pricing and whatever MS gets is not that much and can be easily absorbed by a competitor like them who's hell bent on getting some traction. they are not going to destroy their chances at competition by quibbling over small change like that. Availability of NAND in general would have a bigger impact on a true...
If all you are concerned about is the bare legality of your acts, then you aren't a moral actor. Especially when you're in business, it's not a matter of "if it isn't illegal then full steam ahead," it's a matter of having decent policy and then following that policy. Kind of like the morals that are supposed to guide us all regardless of what's technically legal or not. In short, whether Apple could get thrown in jail or not is not the right question. It's more about...
I really wish people would stop regurgitating this nonsense. It's quoted all over the place lately that Apple is thinking of making a device with a Verizon option and it's often the tablet that's fingered, but the implication from the way it's phrased is always that it's a Verizon exclusive when that would be the stupidest thing Apple could do to a new product. Apple would not make any new product a Verizon exclusive. It won't happen. It would screw over most of...
This right here, puts you in the tiniest of minorities out of those that buy movies. Most people who buy movies buy them to own or collect the movies themselves. The vast majority of the movie buying public doesn't care at all about the supposed extras that they shovel onto the disc. The "extra content" thing was revealed to be mostly a scam years and years ago. Almost all you get is advertisements for other movies or promotions for the movie you have already bought. ...
This has more to do with the speed of your hard drive and specifically the size of it's cache than anything iTunes is doing. Especially the slowness with the apps screen. Apps are generally quite small, the only way it could be as slow as you say is if you either have some super sh*t-load of apps (i.e. - "you're doing it wrong"), or you have a seriously old and slow HD. (or you could be just exaggerating)
Not true actually. "unfiltered" web-based content only. Only those developers stupid enough to build in a web-component, but not use Safari get hit with that. Safari has built in parental controls. If the app is a full-fledged web app running in Safari, it's not subject to anything because the user already has access to parental controls for Safari.
Google could just make a "Google notifications" app that functions for notifications for all Google services. They couldn't deny an app like that as it wouldn't specifically be breaking the part of the AT&T contract that requires Apple to remove the app in the first place. Apple isn't banning the app, they are meeting the requirements of the AT&T agreement to minimise bandwidth sucking apps that duplicate or compete with AT&T's "services."