or Connect

Posts by kpluck

The problem is, the more they add to the AppleTV, the more the user interface shows its weaknesses. Of the icons that litter my Apple TV home screen, I only use 4 regularly. I really wish I could hide the ones I don't use, they are just pointless clutter. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.   For a company that has a reputation for UI design, I am amazed that the interface for the Apple TV is as bad as it is.   -kpluck
It would have been a huge mistake for Apple to try to keep its "culture" the same without Steve Jobs at helm. He was a unique individual and he ran the company in a unique way. If Tim Cook had taken over the job with the attitude of trying to run it "Steve's way" it simply wouldn't have worked.   That being said, the jury is still out on Tim Cook. Apple Maps in iOS 6 was a warning sign. It was troubling that he was so disconnected from a major new feature of iOS that...
  ROFL...stale? If Android is stale, what is the iPhone? Mummified?   -kpluck
  I disagree. I think the idea of making the edges thinner while losing a useful feature, the optical drive, was a great idea. Add to that, putting all the ports and the card reader on the back of the machine was inspired. It will take years for Apple's competition to adopt these ideas.   "But what about the Mac Mini" you say? Simple, make it even smaller and reduce its performance where possible. Oh, and don't neglect the awful keyboard and mouse, I am sure there are...
Hindsight is 20/20 with investment decisions, really? Who would have ever thought that? Hopefully scholars and historians are documenting this rare occurrence so that future generations will learn from it. -kpluck
This seems like a cheap way to lock yourself into Apple's eco-system. What a deal.
  Actually, it can make a lot of sense. By allowing the customer to download the data ahead of the actual launch, a lot of server congestion can be eliminated which it turn can greatly improve download speed for the user. I believe Steam works this way on big releases.   Speaking of which, given SteamPlay support, why would anyone by the Mac App Store version?   -kpluck
The unfortunate part of the timing here is that they will not, in all likelihood, have the new Thunderbolt 20Gbps part. Personally, while it wouldn't be great for Apple's bottom line, I think they should hold off any new Thunderbolt equipped machines until they can be rolled out with the new chip. I think doing that would go a long way with helping Thunderbolt adoption and getting peripherals made. Of course, they won't do that. And they also won't do a mid-cycle refresh...
Basically the EU is just a legalized protection racket out to get their pound of flesh. I really wish Google would just say "FU" and pull out of the EU altogether. Maybe if companies stop paying their extortion the EU will change its ways. -kpluck
Stupidity accounts for 100% of malware installs.   -kpluck