or Connect

Posts by thompr

I wouldn't count on that.  Perhaps other governments' spying transgressions don't hit the worldwide news quite so readily.  When you control the media, where is the whistleblower going to tell his tale (without getting shot and killed)?
Our current policy is "you must leave such devices out of those areas".  I dare say that that policy would remain in place even if iBeacons make it possible to automatically disable cameras.  The sensitive places I work in just don't want these sophisticated devices (especially those with transmitters) anywhere within the confines.  There's just too many ways that automatic disabling could be bypassed.  Best to just not allow the devices in.
AI is in the business of sharing rumors.  This story even says "Rumor" right there in the title.IDC and Gartner are (supposedly) in the business of providing (paid for) data.  DED takes them to task for deliberately twisting their data. There is a difference.
As far as I can tell, Tim has NOT cut costs (other than the standard practice of stiff negotiation with suppliers, which he has been doing for decades as COO).  He has NOT maintained status quo (Beats, IBM, Dividends, Buybacks, etc).  He definitely HAS rocked the boat (see previous).  And he has implemented numerous policies (charity matching, standing up for civil liberties) and processes (moving to green energy, green packaging, green product components ) that actually...
Thanks for the clarification. Still a reasonable price to pay if one is a big fan of the game. Thompson
That's about $12.44 per week, and even less if the package includes all playoff games.  (Not sure about that.)  That's really not too much if you are a fan.  You aren't a fan, so of course it sounds like a waste of $$$ to you.  Anyhow... Die-hard NFL fans are going to get their games one way or another.  This means die-hard NFL fans (who don't have satellite TV) don't have to go to a sports bar to watch all their games, where they invariably spend upwards of $50 per week...
Did TouchID have a "model number" and require an FCC approval as a separate entity? I read the quote as indicating a new product, not a new component of an existing product. I do not believe you need to acquire FCC approval for individual components. All of the emitting components will be part if the test, sure, but the application is for the whole product.Therefore, I don't see how TouchID is a counter to my argument, and I hold to my original point. Oh, and if that...
This quote at the end is in conflict with the headline and premise of the article: "For its part, the FCC filing for Apple's unknown iBeacon device notes that the company "has spent substantial effort in developing this product." It goes on to say that the hardware is "the first of its kind in industry."" If the note in that filing is true, then the model number is not hinting at anything. Thompson
Either you think we are ignorant, or you are.  Because you left out some of the real innovative stuff that happened with iPhone hardware over the last year or so, and even Sammy with all of their resources can't match them.  Go figure it out and then come back with tail between legs.
True, but when cell phones stopped being just cell phones and started being powerful computers that fit in your hand, well, that old adage just doesn't stand up so well anymore.  Computer brands and operating systems don't just "come and go" so easily.  You should expect smartphones and their OS's to follow more along the lines of their big computer brethren and less along the lines of cell phones.  Some analysts still don't get that. Quote:Originally Posted by pmcd In the...