or Connect

Posts by thompr

The Clippers have become really good over the past couple of years.  
What I remember from 2012 (oops) is that somebody on here (you, perhaps?) was quite insistent that there was no way - NO WAY! - that the new iPhone would be called the iPhone 5. Thompson
Two completely different circumstances.  Your China suggestion is never gonna happen. (EDIT) I misunderstood the intent of your post also.  I added a word to make it more clear.  Still may not happen, though. Thompson
I think that they are paid.  But I think it's mandatory, not voluntary.  And that's where the questions start.
I would say that Apple was portraying the machines themselves as cool vs uncool.  But given that people often associate themselves with the things they own and use, and Apple knows this, I would agree that they were purposely walking that thin line.  And they walked it perfectly.
Agreed.
Well, OK, now I understand that you want to distinguish this particular instance from others of this nature.  I would think that if the silliness isn't so fantastic that it goes viral on its own, then you need a celebrity to give it a boost in the beginning.  As with Jerry Lewis, and as with this cause.             Celebrity + acting silly on camera + championing a good cause + challenging everyone to do the same = Great formula. Let me guess: you were the kid that never...
Silliness caught on camera attracts eyeballs, commentary (pro and con), and media attention.  Mix in a good product (or in this case, a cause) and you've got a powder keg.  Now throw in a public challenge and you have lit the fuse.  It's pretty simple to understand, really.  Expect more charities to follow this formula via social media in the future.   Jerry Lewis understood this years ago (long before social media came on thee scene) and was the perfect silly front man...
What's not to get?  The silliness is making people talk about it (whether they love it or hate it) which is the goal of every advertising campaign.  The people that are contributing funds and then also going under the bucket understand the power of making a spectacle of yourself (but in this case, not in a pathetic way) and issuing challenges to do the same.  And it's working.   So again... what's not to get? Thompson
Yes, I agree with you.  This is much ado about nothing. But the other poster was right:  if an airline puts microcells on their airplanes, attached to their internet link, then yes you can get cell service in the air.  But they won't provide it for free.  It will come with a surcharge that gets automatically added onto your wireless carrier bill.  If the surcharge is high enough - and given the cost of airplane beers, I suspect it will be - then we will be right back to...