or Connect

Posts by thompr

All of the Lumia phones, etc, are Microsoft now.  Not Nokia.  This article is factually correct.  
 I think that the previous poster made a good point but you apparently missed it when you slid into an absurd example to counter his point.
 Yes.  You missed the fact that Microsoft owns Nokia, and many of those feature phones are being sold worldwide... but those sales are dwindling fast and have been for quite some time.  Nokia used to be king of the phones.
The difference is that Apple's use of an internal component (which all its competitors likewise use) does not increase the iPhone's desirability or sales.  Meanwhile, Samsung's use of Apple's design for devices, chargers, packaging, user-interface, and even icons(!) has most definitely given a boost to their brand and their sales, somewhat to the detriment of Apple's.  To the extent that Samsung copying on specific products has moved some sales from Apple's column into...
Comcast will simply capitalize by charging new extra fees when you go over set levels of bytes downloaded over their internet connection.  And if you use some other internet company, they too will want some extra $$$ when everybody starts streaming a bunch of data.
The same reason pundits all over the place attempt to estimate iPhone sales before Apple tells us: they view it as their job to predict stuff even though we'll know in short order.
I have held my AAPL since about 2002.
The 2007/2008 great recession took AAPL down from 200 to about 80 (pre-split numbers) a very significant haircut, and AAPL didn't recover again for about 2 years.  Sure, in hindsight we can call it just a terrible speed bump and that it ultimately didn't matter.  But if something like that happens again, you can bet that investors will be gnashing teeth and sweating bullets once again.  I will stay brave throughout, of course, but it doesn't mean that there won't be pain.
Rogifan, you do not understand business or supply and demand.  A product's value has nothing to do with its cost to produce.  A product's value is only determined by the price that the customers are willing to pay for it.  Clearly, Apple's iPhones are worth what Apple is charging because record numbers of people are gladly opening their wallets.  (Truth be told, Apple could probably get away with charging a little more.)  Charging less or falling to up-sell whenever...
I think that YouTube is a different type of thing altogether and may be outside the exclusivity arrangements. Thompson