or Connect

Posts by ajmas

Visiting the various iTunes music stores I noticed two things: - Not all stores are in the local language of the country, for example the Finnish is in English - the display language for the store also appears to be independent to the language being used by the user's environment (I switched my environment to Finnish and restarted iTunes, but no difference). - The main pages feel very Anglo oriented, with very little, to none, in the way of local artists appearing on...
Hadn't realised. Shows that the /. crowd just don't understand the general public when it comes to technology.
It depends on their marketing. If Apple feels that there is more demand for a given player and that there isn't room for both of them, the they will either kill the least fit product or improve it too. What I tend to find interesting is the difference in what I sometimes read on Apple related forums and what I see in public. For example a lot of techies say that the iPod shuffle is a dead product, yet I see a fair few people using them. The people using them tend to be...
See them more as revisions, rather than great new products. The great new products tend to come out at developer conferences or Apple Expos. This announcement is happening at neither, so it is hardly surprising nothing spectacular got announced.
Given the current line up of PowerBooks, what is the one feature that you would want to change or add? For me it would be increasing the screen resolution of the 17".
Has anybody heard whether the PowerBooks will be covered in this update? I am in the stage of buying a new Apple PowerBook, so this would be of interest. Otherwise I'll just wait to find out Tuesday.
Hmm, just found that Jobs was offered the possibility, but turned it down: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8504/S...ell-Processor/
Apple's move to the Intel processor is said to be because they weren't getting what they were looking for, especially for their portables. This sounds a reasonable explanation. Now I see the Playstation 3 with and 8 core "Cell Processor". This thing looks perfect for an XServe machine that would be used in a cluster, or even by itself, offering top of the line performance. This got me wondering whether Apple would attempt to use Intel based CPUs for most of the line and...
First off one thing that the move to Intel will probably mean is more access to PC add-on hardware, such as graphics cards, without needing a Mac specific version - this can only be good. Back to the subject of this thread: What of the Firmware? I have heard mentioned that Apple probably won't be using OpenFirmware in its new Intel based machines. At the same time I doubt that they will want to be using the BIOS either. My view point in this is that they are not trying...
Now that Apple has brought out the digital camera adapter, I am certainly considering buying a 60GB iPod. For me the larger iPod allows me either non-lossy compressed music, or large capacity photo storage when I go on vacation, or photo shoots. If your camera is only 3.5MP then that extra room means nothing, but if you are dealing with a camera that is 6MP and up, then it starts to add up. Lowering the price by $20 or providing a special discount on the camera adapter...