or Connect

Posts by wcg66

Not sure the fab industry doesn't see this coming. Samsung has screwed Apple over so many times it was inevitable. Apple was one of Samsung's biggest customers but the appeal of the mobile market was too great for Samsung to ignore. I roll my eyes when people complain about Apple's "big company tactics" comparing them to the Microsoft of the 90's. Samsung is a far worse a corporate citizen, and like other Asian conglomerates, are guilty of many more big company atrocities...
Apple is already moving its display sourcing to Sharp. I have no doubt Samsung will be cut out of the loop eventually. Hopefully, Apple is getting suppliers to sign up with non-compete clauses. That way, if their new suppliers try to copy them, they'd be violating a contract which should be more clear cut.
A recent fire sale at $200 (RIM employees around town are getting them and reselling them for $99) says the Playbook is dead. I wouldn't hold my breath for a 2.0 update.
What surprised me is that Sun did not move on this immediately. When I first saw Android and the Dalvik VM and the use of java (lower case intentionally), I immediately thought "Sun is going to freak over this". I would love to know the details behind that story. Oracle maybe too late taking this up now. If there is an Achille's heal with Android it's Java, IMO, not the UX. Other companies have made their on VMs (like IBM) but with Sun licensing. Even Microsoft was given...
With probably twice the processing power of an iPad, I would expect the Playbook to be faster. Processor power is purposely reduced in handheld devices to reduce power consumption. I can't see how running a multicore chip and Flash that the playbook is going to have good battery life. Unless it has more battery which increases weight and thickness. Frankly, I don't care either, I find my iPad pretty snappy so I'm not looking for a big improvement in speed. I've said this...
Ok enough about the moral issues and let us know if this works! Although I don't condone this in anyway, YMMV, yada yada....
This is the first teardown article I noticed and I liked it, so, good work AI. You, apparently, read the other two and now a third. Certainly there's enough room for more than one.
I recommend people with the AEBS look at iTimeMachine: http://www.xiotios.com/itimemachine.html This lets you use Time Machine with Air Disks. I've tried it out to the extent I can set my TimeMachine backup to my shared HD on the AEBS but not actually done the backup. My backup HD is directly connected with FW.
Great article, I like the way you laid out the various HD options and the truth about the death knell of certain choices :-) I am impressed with the screen shots, certainly looks like Apple TV can compete and like you said in Part 1: if your TV is 50" or less and you are sitting the recommended distance away for the size of TV you have, you won't notice the difference with 1080p. This is something that Home Theater magazine has been saying all along. My Panasonic 50"...