or Connect

Posts by jb510

Why is this surprising people? I thought Apple said that these copper cables would eventually be replaced by fiber cables using the same connector because the transceivers would be in the cable... So presumably could by a 30m 'optical' thunderbolt cable someday and plug it into the same connector as used by the 2m copper cable.
I generally view VL for software as compensation for the scenario where software gets installed on more workstations then it's actually getting used on regularly. That makes sense for applications, but not for an OS. I suspect however that this is largely a technical limitation of the app store distribution channel. I suppose there are still ways of accomplishing VL discounts, promo codes or a seperate discounted product download... I don't know of any App Store apps...
Simple answer: Go read the well written Mac Rumors article... From everything I've read so far, yes to upgrade seamlessly you must first upgrade to Snow Leopard Server and then to Lion Server. This is because you can't migrate a Server user profile to non-server. If you want to be more creative... just install Snow Leopard non-server (don't migrate) and then upgrade to Lion and THEN install Lion's server tools. You might even then be able to go back and use...
Until 3 or 4 months ago I always thought Apple Insider had the best writers in the "Apple Only News World", but frankly it's gone seriously downhill... Anyway, I read Mac Rumors article on this exact same subject and it's exceptionally more clear than what is written here, I encourage you to read it: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/17/...and-education/ To upgrade SL Server you MUST upgrade to Lion Server. If you have SL you CAN upgrade to Lion Server. You can...
I'm liking most of what I hear, but there are still some big holes. What if I currently have 10.6 and want to switch to server? Do I really need to first buy 10.6 Server and then upgrade as seems to be suggested. The article says updates are handled through software update, but I'm unclear if that's for all installations or just the volume licensed bussiness and education installs... I'm guessing it's all installs. This leads mr to believe that there is still no...
I'm sure I'm in Avery small minority, but IF my phone was factory unlocked o probably wouldn't jailbreak it, and IF I hadn't jailbroken it I would never of downloaded a pirated app for it. And personally I would instantly switch my iPhone 4 to T-Mobile and get a 4G LTE personal hotspot for my all my devices on one data plan.
iMessage makes me very happy. I disabled SMS on my iPhone 6 months ago and am much happier without it... anything to show carriers that $0.20/message is outrageous. I would expect iMessage to make it into Lion 10.7.2 or .3. It would just confuse people to release a desktop client version of it before iOS 5 is released. I am a bit confused if and how this gets integrated into FaceTime. It seems like it should, along the lines of Skype being capable of...
In fairness what bloggerblog said is entirely true... MOST PEOPLE who buy the Air don't even max out... but some, like you and I, fall into the small group of people that would really love a 15" MBA Pro. I held out for my dream 15" MBAP for a while but a few months ago I broke down bought a 2011 MBP. I'm planning on ripping the optical drive out of and stuffing an 256GB SSD and 750GB hard drive into (because having my entire 40k raw image photo library internal again...
Partical accelerator was my first thought too... While this is a beautiful building it's worth noting that while the aerial view showing the courtyard makes it look all green to humans standing on the ground outside it's still going to look pretty massive. I love jobs comment about taxes and muni wifi.
I hate be cynical even when it comes to AT&T but I suspect there will be two plans one with too little data for most people and one with way too much data data for most people... Both of course will be overpriced. Honestly I expect that users will still have to pay $25/2GB/device it'll just be shared between the devices. So you'll still be paying $75 for 3 devices, but they'll get to share the 6GB pool of data... What you won't be offered is for 3 devices to share 2GB...