or Connect

Posts by jb510

While I'm certainly PRO-recycling and appreciate products that are designed to be recyclable, I don't get why people get SO excited about the _recyclability_ of what should be highly durable products. I loved my aluminum MBP and my brand spanking new unibody MBP because they are rock solid _durable_ laptops... In fact I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of MacBook buyers throw far more aluminium in the non-recyclable trash bin every year than there is in one...
The only merger I recall being blocked in my adult lifetime was US Air/United around 2000... maybe late 90's...
Saying this news ruined my day would be a minor over statement... The US mobile market is already over consolidated and I really hope regulatory approval of the merger is denied... but based on the last 10 years I won't hold my breath for that. I've always preferred T-Mobile's plans to ATT and VZ. They were always cheaper for me given my usage pattern... and they were friendly toward prepaid, something ATT has always poisoned. My wishlist as conditions of...
Normally I find AI's writting exemplary, but the biased tone in the first half of this posting is really bothersome. Suggesting that this is solely Blaze's fault that Apple's new JS engine wasn't used is unfair. Apple should have made the engine available to Apps and WebApps... I'd even argue Blaze was right to assume they had, although I'd expect Blaze to issue a clarification upon learning that WebApp and Apps using the web framework don't get to utilize the new JS...
I'm liking all the UI tweaks (scroll bars, window resizing, etc) but really care a LOT more about the actual OS changes (versions, ASLR, resume, etc). Could we please get more reporting on the actual OS features? Any signs of a new file system burried in there? Any apps using versions or resume? How well does file vault work qnd does it work with Time Machine and Time Machine Server? A video of air drop working would be great....
I'm sure many will be thrilled by the speed, but I'm majorly disappointed.... My hopes for a MacBook Pro Air have been dashed.... Maybe next year...
The "obvious" thing your missing is those were all _rumors_. Apple did indeed file a patent to include fiber optics in a MagSafe connector. That doesn't mean they developed it into a product, although they might still do so someday. The other item that seems to be missing is that a key development feature of Light Peak was to be multi-protocol (intended to be able to carry anything such as video usb, sata, etc...). Further what seems to be forgotten is that while Intel...
A few weeks ago I put a 500GB Momentus XT in my 2008 MBP, replacing a standard 7200rpm 500GB drive. It's has definitely speed up launching large apps like Photoshop, Lightroom, MS Word, etc... Personally I'm such a fan of it's no-brainer automatic caching algorithms that I hope Apple uses the exact same thing even if the SSD much larger (32-64GB). Apple could just use Unix mount points or symlinks to move or point system, library and applications to the SSD but that...
If apple indeed does release MBPs this week it seems their cone of silence may of finally been repaired. While there have been rumors and vague details, there haven't been the concrete tangible leaks seen before the last several product releases.
Brilliant for a dock connector, but it's not subsitute for a sole general data connection on the laptop side of things. I would however think it rather cool if, for example, MBP's came with a magsafe connector on both sides of the case and either could be used for power+data or just data. (the data being light peak). From what I've seen no one has proposed any particular connector yet for LightPeak, nor a specific method for LP carrying power. MagSafe would seem an...