or Connect

Posts by SDW2001

They aren't my assertions. Corporate executives themselves have said this. Consumers are addicted to it because that's been the model for a long time, even pre-smartphone.
 I find it amazing that good liberals like tonton still refuse to acknowledge that our overall high tax burden (and corrupt, byzantine tax mechanism) are major impediments to economic growth.   They still are obsessed with the idea that the "rich" don't pay their fair share, and that they need to pay more to help out the little guy.  The math doesn't work and history shows their spending programs often hurt rather than help, but they're still at it.  
 OK, I agree with that. Good point.   How many people?  Because while I know people who keep their phones longer than their term requires, the thing that seems to impede their upgrade is the upfront cost of several hundred dollars.  I've never (and I mean never in this case) met someone who sits down and calculates the total cost to own and uses it as the decision point for whether or not to upgrade when eligible.      Took me a moment to understand what you meant there....
"Apple's long-awaited and much-lauded redesign of its iconic iPhone may have set new records, but its newer models do not appear to have gained any advantage over Samsung's flagship smartphones when it comes to user satisfaction," the report reads. " Meaningless report. Utterly meaningless. It's some convoluted 'satisfaction' number that has no effect other than giving geeks ammunition with which to argue. Tell me, folks that run the American Consumer Satisfaction...
 Not that much higher.  About the same, actually.    I disagree with that judgment entirely.  People always want to upgrade as fast as possible, which is the entire hook of the Next campaign to begin with.  We also tend to look at our month to month expenses rather than total expense when the numbers are fairly close.  In 18 months, you can get a new phone and not pay a dime more than you're paying at the moment.     That's true, I suppose.  AT&T's fee is $325 minus $10 a...
 And I'm not sure why you're being an ass about it.  Nothing is "tripping me up."   We're simply referring to different plans.  There are plans advertised as 12, 18 and 24 months.  I'm saying that one has to add 6 months to the plan in order for it to be paid off.     Full Term=6 months longer than the plan name.  That's where discrepancy is.    Yes, but if you are not paid off, it makes a difference.     I'm aware.  But you are not like most consumers.  People who sign up...
 I appreciate the vast amount of knowledge and experience posting here you must have, especially considering your join date of 2014. However, please rest assured that you are in good hands here.  Some of us have been members since before our listed registration date (January 2000 in my case), and are quite adept at dealing with condescension and snark.   I said that I had yet to encounter a vendor who accepts Apple Pay.  This is true, even in the Philly suburbs and exurbs...
 I do have an unlimited plan, and use a moderate amount of data.  It's been more lately, but I could live with 6GB...maybe even 3.  As for the rest of analysis, we each forgot something.  I left out the activation/upgrade fee of $40 (or $38...whatever).  That brings my current monthly cost to around $88.  However, you left out the sale of the old phone, which nets me around $150.  I think I actually got $180 for my iPhone 5.     We're getting into reality now, because my...
 I used the number from the website for the NEXT plan.      I just showed that wasn't true, especially when you sell your old phone.    But this is what you're not getting...a 24 month plan is not a 24 month plan.  The phone is not paid off in 24 months (or 12, or 18 for that matter).   OK.  
 Exactly.  As others have noted, the 12/18/24 is a lie.  That's the contract term, not the full payoff.  It's like balloon financing.  If AT&T mandates this, am 100% certain to switch back to Verizon or to another carrier.   Consider the math.  In the current model, I buy a $300 subsidized phone every two years.  I then sell my old phone for around $150.  Given that I got my first iPhone in 2008, I've been doing this upgrade model for 5 years now--since 2010.  As things...