or Connect

Posts by dshan

The problem here is primarily with Apple not Google (though Google should never have supported push email via the stupid Exchange protocol in the first place). Google mail's IMAP has supported IDLE (IMAP's implementation of push notifications) for years now, the problem is Apple's iOS Mail app doesn't support IDLE and so had to use the Google Exchange hack instead. Now that that's been dropped Apple's users are hurting. The solution is for Apple to implement IDLE support...
It's not the consumer unlocking that needs to be made legal, it's the telco locking that needs to be made illegal! As long as you pay for your phone each month as per your contract the telco you're buying it from should have no right to prevent you from using another network whenever you wish. While you are under contract you have to pay off the phone each month and pay for any usage on that telco's network, but you shouldn't be prevented from using another network as...
You'll be waiting a looong time for Apple to do anything like this deal.You can kiss any Dell Ubuntu gear goodbye, and there is NO prospect of them ever doing a Chromebook now. MS will be dictating the terms and you can bet those are top of their agenda. Any chance Dell had to escape the Microsoft death grip is now gone.Oh yes, software and services, Dell have shown what masters of software they are over many years! And all they need is a new version of Office to turn...
Only two weeks later than promised, not bad Microsoft. It's sure to help all those non-techies who are confused by the Surface RT too - now there's another Surface to choose from, and it's thicker, heavier and more expensive! With shorter battery life too! Oh joy, just what everyone who hasn't bought a Surface RT is looking for...
"...the platform will be leveraged to generate users that will eventually be migrated over to new mobile apps." Wow, that really makes the future of Opera Mini clear and unambiguous guys, thanks.
I'd put my house on their figures being total BS. Yet another unknown 'analyst' firm that claims to have done an Apple sales estimate from a 'survey'... A survey that, as always, cannot include Apple's sales through it's online store and it's own stores. And cannot include the single biggest sales channel for the Nexus 7 either - the Google Play online store! Apple sell only a small percentage of their non-iPhone gear via the sort of traditional retailers these guys can...
Well I was just notified by the Java 7 control panel that update 11 is now available for download, but the install fails at the beginning of the download phase every time I try to run it... Sigh.
This unfortunately ignores the fact that Hurd was very widely loathed inside HP long before he got in trouble with the board. Many of HP's problems started while he was there, lots of very temporary profit (and bonus) pumping tricks, lots of stock price games happened on his watch (e.g. drastic cost cutting in areas, like R&D, that were sure to come back and bite HP a bit further down the track. And have.) It was under Hurd that HP really became an ink seller with a...
I'm less sanguine about Eddy Cue's ability to fix Maps than I'd like to be. His previous "successes" include iTunes (ubiquitous, but bloated and increasingly unmanageable, it's really Apple's MS Office) and iCloud (better than its predecessor perhaps, but still widely reviled for it's bugs, data corruption issues, downtime, odd limitations and general unreliability). Why would anyone think this is the guy to fix Maps? To me one of the key things about the Maps issue was...
As so often is the case "most people" are wrong.