or Connect

Posts by dshan

This unfortunately ignores the fact that Hurd was very widely loathed inside HP long before he got in trouble with the board. Many of HP's problems started while he was there, lots of very temporary profit (and bonus) pumping tricks, lots of stock price games happened on his watch (e.g. drastic cost cutting in areas, like R&D, that were sure to come back and bite HP a bit further down the track. And have.) It was under Hurd that HP really became an ink seller with a...
I'm less sanguine about Eddy Cue's ability to fix Maps than I'd like to be. His previous "successes" include iTunes (ubiquitous, but bloated and increasingly unmanageable, it's really Apple's MS Office) and iCloud (better than its predecessor perhaps, but still widely reviled for it's bugs, data corruption issues, downtime, odd limitations and general unreliability). Why would anyone think this is the guy to fix Maps? To me one of the key things about the Maps issue was...
As so often is the case "most people" are wrong.
Actually no, the entire Australian mining industry contributes less than 6% of Australia's GDP. (In 1900 it was 10%.)It's a significant export earner certainly (making up a little over a third of Australia's total exports), but by no means as significant as many people seem to think (thanks in no small part to an industry that is well practised at blowing it's own horn). Less than 2.5% of the workforce is in mining.As has been the case forever, Australians (like Americans...
I don't know about the Europeans but in Australia the ATO has provisions in the legislation that allow for it to determine if a particular scheme of arrangement has been entered into primarily to avoid paying tax, even years after the fact. If they decide yes it was setup and used primarily to avoid tax they can go back and bill the company (or individual(s)) for the tax thus avoided. Apple Australia being "owned" by a shelf company in Ireland might be considered such a...
It's only a matter of time before Apple comes under pressure to do the same thing in other places like the USA and probably the UK and France as well. And sadly they'll probably cave, Apple have shown a distinct lack of courage when it comes to anything political and/or controversial previously, e.g. that drone strike info app. Once again this time they caved just because stories started appearing in the press and online, apparently they weren't advised by the Chinese...
The problem is that switching to AMD buys Apple little, a smaller less advanced chip designer for their Macs (though there might be potential for some models of Macs to use AMD chips, e.g. Future models of the Air), and switching away from x86 altogether loses them the Windows compatibility that has helped them convince many to switch from Windows and thus boosted Mac sales considerably. The most likely non-x86 choice is ARM of course and while that is great for portable...
Interesting that the link to 3rd party nav apps in the store omits TomTom. And not just in the US store either, I noticed the same thing in the Australian app store too. Given they are one of the data sources for Apple's Maps app perhaps this indicates Apple are unhappy with the quality of the info they are getting from TomTom?
Only 40 people went to work and ended up in hospital, no one was killed at work today. Such a relief, I was worried there might be a problem there, something serious that might even delay my new iPhone!
What I don't understand is that 'rubber banding' is clearly a software patent, and as far as I know (or thought I knew) software patents are not recognised in Europe (indeed virtually anywhere outside the USA), so how can this be ruled on by a German court? Clearly it has been so I guess the software patent situation isn't as black and white as that... Really this is the heart of the problem - software patents are the major issue, should they be recognised in the first...