or Connect

Posts by dshan

It's only a matter of time before Apple comes under pressure to do the same thing in other places like the USA and probably the UK and France as well. And sadly they'll probably cave, Apple have shown a distinct lack of courage when it comes to anything political and/or controversial previously, e.g. that drone strike info app. Once again this time they caved just because stories started appearing in the press and online, apparently they weren't advised by the Chinese...
The problem is that switching to AMD buys Apple little, a smaller less advanced chip designer for their Macs (though there might be potential for some models of Macs to use AMD chips, e.g. Future models of the Air), and switching away from x86 altogether loses them the Windows compatibility that has helped them convince many to switch from Windows and thus boosted Mac sales considerably. The most likely non-x86 choice is ARM of course and while that is great for portable...
Interesting that the link to 3rd party nav apps in the store omits TomTom. And not just in the US store either, I noticed the same thing in the Australian app store too. Given they are one of the data sources for Apple's Maps app perhaps this indicates Apple are unhappy with the quality of the info they are getting from TomTom?
Only 40 people went to work and ended up in hospital, no one was killed at work today. Such a relief, I was worried there might be a problem there, something serious that might even delay my new iPhone!
What I don't understand is that 'rubber banding' is clearly a software patent, and as far as I know (or thought I knew) software patents are not recognised in Europe (indeed virtually anywhere outside the USA), so how can this be ruled on by a German court? Clearly it has been so I guess the software patent situation isn't as black and white as that... Really this is the heart of the problem - software patents are the major issue, should they be recognised in the first...
Maybe. But USB would greatly complicate both iPod and iOS device accessories - docks, speakers, chargers, car accessories, etc. (This same smaller dock connector has to trickle down to the iPods too don't forget.) It would also increase Apple's unit manufacturing costs, particularly for the lower-margin iPods, and hurt profit margins. USB 3.0 isn't as cheap as 2.0 yet and even 2.0 probably costs more than the current 30-pin dock connector.   Currently building...
1. Whenever a site gets an accurate photo of any new Apple part or device Apple immediately demands they be taken down. Lawyers are launched at whoever uses them. Hasn't happened with any of the supposed new iPhone parts or these new dock photos. That means they're very likely either fake or deliberate Apple disinformation. Same for the shots of supposed new iPhone back shell and motherboard.   2. Going from a 30-pin to 19-pin dock connector is easy for both Apple...
The new Java update fixed my problem launching Stanza on Lion that started with the first update. I was about to give up on Stanza and accept it was just too old but now it's back to working fine again. Obviously the first Java update broke some existing apps and that has now been corrected.
Exactly. Many keep saying it won't happen because Steve said 7" tablets don't work, they're too small to tap regions accurately, would require apps be updated, and so forth. But what Apple are apparently testing isn't a 7" iPad, it's really an 8" iPad, and that makes a significant difference. Steve wasn't lying, Apple really did test (and probably still are) various sizes for the iPad and found 7" doesn't work, but he didn't say anything about 8" tablets (deliberately I'm...
This may well be the explanation for these rumours. A remote wouldn't need such a complex UI as a full-blown iPad and the elements could be larger on-screen allowing for a smaller screen. It'd basically be an iPad that ran only one app - the Apple Remote app. It'd allow for controlling new Apple TV apps running on the TV itself but wouldn't have to have much RAM or flash itself (and the ATV apps themselves are likely to be simpler than most existing iOS apps with buttony...