or Connect

Posts by dshan

Yet again totally unverified "estimates" of sales and shipments of devices by a firm of analysts that have frequently been proven wrong in the past are accepted and published as if they were facts. Just because they state something in a press release doesn't make it true! Apple don't release their iPhone sales figures for Australia and NZ, and neither do Samsung. Nowhere in their press release do they say on what basis they reached these figures, but it certainly wasn't...
Hooray! I've been waiting for this functionality for ages. I wish you could do the same thing with movies too, but as I only rarely buy movies it's not a big problem.
No, the new ATV 2 update shows up as v4.2, not 4.3. ATV versions have bee a release or so behind other iOS devices for a while now. Dunno why. My 3 yr-old Panasonic, 720p LCD TV is having no flickering or other issues issue with the ATV 2 running iOS 4.2.
But you can already rent movies on iTunes, so why don't you? I would love TV rentals from iTunes because I already rent a fair few movies and can't see why TV shows should be any different. I also currently buy certain shows, the few that I think are of lasting value and I'm likely to watch more than once, but there are lots of other, more ephemeral TV programs that are entertaining once, but aren't worth purchasing that rentals would be great for. One proviso though - no...
Agreed, Rupert Murdoch is also horseshit.
Oh for heaven's sake, it's the problem of having to negotiate non-US rights to books, not any lack of faith in the British reader. It's a problem for all US-based ebook stores and Apple is no different. Amazon's Kindle store has only just recently become available outside the US and Canada, and many books are still not available to non-US/Canada residents. Same with every other ebook store from B&N to Fictionwise. It was months and months after the iTunes music store...
Many POP email readers on computers work like this by design, Thunderbird for example and several others (not sure about Apple Mail on the Mac). When you "delete" an email from your inbox or wherever it doesn't actually move it to the trash folder (i.e. copy and to the trash and delete it from the inbox) as you might expect, it simply flags it as invisible (to the email app) in the inbox folder and copies it to the trash folder. Even after you empty the trash the original...
All this BS lawyer talk... Surely the important question no one has asked yet is whether the M & M Mighty Mouse is Mac compatible? Imagine, a mouse you can bleed on, one you can spit on, and it'll keep on mousing! As to the numerous people complaining how come M & M are only "now" complaining and suing, years after the Apple MM went on sale - normally in such cases you don't sue first. First your lawyers write letters to the offending party and get letters back from...
Apple may be working on such a device, but given the current Atom's limitations I doubt it'll be anything announced at WWDC or thereabouts. 1G Atom's power usage is too high too be useful to Apple in the hand-held space (a 2G Air is a more likely home for the 1G Atom). If they do such a device in the near term (i.e. this year) it'll probably have an ARM processor not an x86 chip (the ARM version of OS X is already available and multi-touch-enabled, as are many ARM binary...
The most interesting thing about all this to me is the differences between what they appear to be going to talk to the press about - "Please join us to learn about the iPhone software roadmap, including the iPhone SDK and some exciting new enterprise features," - and what they are going to discuss in the "Key Customer Briefing" as reproduced in this article: Mac Pro, MacBook Air, Xserve, iPod touch and SDK, Xsan. Nary a mention of the iPhone or any "exciting new...