or Connect

Posts by poke

It is the nicest smart watch so far and that's the problem. Google/Samsung will have been watching this event and what will they take away from it? That their smart watches are pretty much fine, except they need to better build quality and a goofy way of sharing your heartbeat with someone else. Other than that, Apple Watch is very similar to Android Wear. That's probably the biggest indictment of an Apple product I can think of. Samsung/Motorola/Google et al got it pretty...
 I think Swift is a sign that they're getting as serious about the developer toolchain as they are about consumer software. It's very interesting that Lattner has taken over the Developer Tools team. It fits the Apple model of having a "personality" at the top. I think it's very, very important when you look at it from a big picture perspective: Apple is going to be really pushing innovation in developer tools from now on. I think the important thing with Swift is that it...
These are very solid releases. My faith is completely restored.   I was worried, especially with the out-of-character Beats purchase, but they did pretty much everything I've ever wanted them to do.   Now I have to come up with entirely new things to whine about.
I hope this isn't true. What a terrible idea.
I don't mind the look of iOS 7 but it's riddled with usability issues, whereas iOS 1-6 was fantastic usability-wise. Did iOS need an updated look? Sure, but it took a hit in usability in the process. I have no idea what's going on inside Apple but the fact is that two people who worked on iOS since its inception and who knew usability inside and out and were obviously responsible for the success of the project have left. The guy who has replaced them has no background in...
The Mac is gaining share because the PC market reached saturation and is now in decline, the iPhone is losing share in the smartphone market because the smartphone market is growing (but it's still gaining in the more saturated phone market). Once smartphones are saturated, the iPhone will be gaining share again (you can already see this in the US, Japan and some EU countries). The thing to learn from this is that both the Mac and the iPhone grow independently of their...
 It's the classic "add an option to fix a UI mistake" UI mistake.
 Apple wasn't given the benefit of the doubt under Jobs, quite the opposite. Apple's stock peaked a year after Jobs's death, under Cook. The P/E has never been great, except for a brief period when the stock rallied under Cook. Apple is always discounted in the media.
I never bought the patent excuse. It hasn't made sense at any point in this story. I think Motorola was hedge against Samsung. It can't be a coincidence that the "Samsung and Google are now best friends" story before this news. That was Google doing damage control. Basically: there has been a big internal battle for Android between Google and Samsung. Google bought Motorola because it thought it might lose Android to Samsung. It also started taking more and more of Android...
This makes sense of the highly implausible "Samsung making concessions to Google" news (Google is clearly in the worse position in that relationship). Samsung has basically said to Google: "You get out of hardware or we're forking Android." Part of the terms were obviously Samsung dialling back some of the Android changes it showed in CES. So Google gets a couple of articles written about how they're regaining control over Android on Samsung devices as damage control...