or Connect

Posts by poke

In China and the rest of the developing world, the Android open source project is used for anything with a display. It's a free modern OS, so it sees a lot of applications. I think IDC is counting all these devices as tablets. The way they're shuffling numbers around makes it look like they have some sort of proxy for estimating the total number of Android devices sold, then they divide those up into smartphones and tablets, and then divide those up into different brands....
Yes!Let's look at Google's strategy:1. Blatantly copy another company's product2. Give it away for free in order to destroy the market for companies that might exclude Google services from their phones3. Slowly make it proprietary piece by piece in order to control partners once they're dependent on it#1 was bad, but common. #2 was a nasty, cynical move, remiscent of the tactics that almost got Microosft broken up. #3 is just evil.
 The list is of the countries asking for data. All the terrorist-hunting requests would be included in the US listing.
You're right about zooming into apps. My mistake. But the way the apps fly onto the screen at different speeds is new, they used to just zoom in altogether.
One thing it looks like they did copy: The new transition effects in KitKat. Icons now zoom onto the page and when you go into an app it zooms into it. Just like iOS 7.
I think Apple created a problem when it made the 3rd gen iPad fatter and heavier. Weight is really the most important factor with the iPad. In my experience, regular people don't understand the benefits of a retina display. It's something I find really odd, since I've always preferred higher DPI displays, but for some reason it's really hard for people to get a handle on. So you have the iPad 2, which has a better form factor, and is $100 cheaper and the only benefits of...
I wasn't sure about iOS 7 when I saw the screenshots and videos, but honestly I barely notice the aesthetic changes now I'm using it and the new features are a huge improvement. Surprisingly, I haven't heard a single bad thing about it from relatives or regular folk.
Samsung is already pushing its stylus on the Galaxy Note, maybe they'll go stylus-only so they can avoid agreeing to the anti-cloning terms Apple asks for.
Apple just needs to start charging itself 4 times as much for its processors and it can beat Qualcomm!
I suspect Apple restricts the kind of offers its partners can give on its flagship phone, whereas it does not on the 5c, and that's why we're seeing more offers.