or Connect

Posts by poke

New Android apps target Android 2.x. Few apps use ICS features because it's not widely available. Who's going to continue releasing apps for Windows Phone 7 when Windows Phone 8 is essentially a new platform?
  It's different. It's not just that these phones can't be upgraded, the entire platform API has been deprecated. Old iOS devices running iOS 5 can still run apps that target that OS. Most developers target older versions of iOS. New apps being released will still be compatible for some time. WP8 introduces a completely new set of APIs and a new development environment. So the whole platform is being dumped. Moreover, WP7 phones are relatively new and are still being...
Nokia got Double Osborned. After seeing the effects of pre-announcing Symbian being deprecated, how are carriers and customers going to feel about Nokia's WP7 line up now they know that it's not upgradeable and the next version of WP has a completely incompatible API? No developers are going to continue working on WP7. This is very bad news for Nokia. They're toast.
This is nuclear. Microsoft just deprecated the entire WP7 platform. If you bought a Lumia your phone is now worthless.
  It looks like you still get some of the functionality (I'm running it on a 4th gen iPod touch). You get the route, you can press "Start" and it shows the turn-by-turn directions at the top. You can swipe through them and it will move along the route. I'm not sure what happens if you drive it since I haven't had a chance to take it out, but it doesn't look like there are voice directions and I'm not sure it'll warn you ahead of reaching a turn. It's sort of like manual...
It's worth noting that TomTom owns Tele Atlas and also supplies mapping data to Google. So Apple's new application essentially uses the same data as Google Maps. It's not just turn-by-turn data, it's the geographical data on which the map tiles are based. If you look through the acknowledgments for Apple's new Maps and Google Maps many of the sources are the same.
Given that they have to cover Mountain Lion and iOS 6 in the keynote (and potentially a forthcoming Apple TV API and App Store), it seems unlikely that they'd have time for this many hardware announcements. The fact that there's so many probably means they're mostly spec bumps rather than redesigns and will be updated quietly without an announcement either tomorrow or after WWDC. I'm setting expectations to LOW.
  I don't know. Personally I've always been bad at remembering names and I'm now very reliant on street view. Whenever I go somewhere, I use street view to take a look at the major junctions, turning points, etc, instead of memorising road names. But the street view interface can be pretty clunky and slow. I think being able to zoom around a 3D map would be perfect for me. It's probably a personal preference thing. Some people prefer diagrams and road names, some people...
  Raskin's original vision was realised in the Canon Cat and described in his book "The Humane Interface." It's really nothing like the Mac and nothing at all like the iPad.
  I can see 60 million iPhones and 25 million iPads in the coming holiday quarter selling just the gen-6 iPhone and the current iPad. I doubt they'll ever sell 8 million Macs per quarter though.