or Connect

Posts by poke

It's big news. OS X doesn't usually get feature updates over the life time of major releases. I thought they might do this. I think Lion is going to be around a long time and they're now going to add new features regularly with minor updates in the same way they do with iOS point releases now. Many of the new features will probably be timed with iOS updates, since the platforms are converging.
The patent system is messed up. But the case of Apple shows that it's not just patent trolls using patents to extract money that's the problem, it's also the ins and outs of using patents to protect genuine innovation. Android is a clear a case of something IP law should be trying to stop. A company, Google, bought another company, Android, and got them to copy Apple's new phone for the sole purpose of giving it away for free so they could stop Apple from becoming the...
What Apple needs right now is a $300 prepaid iPhone lite (or a iPod touch 3G that lets you buy data, voice and text however you choose). I think it's highly likely they're going to do this soon (as in September). Their strategy since the start has been to take power away from the carriers. Having an affordable, unsubsidised iPhone is the way to do that. I think Apple imagines a future where those carrier stores don't even exist. You'll buy your mobile devices from the...
Yes. But it was just rumours, there wasn't any evidence.
There were a number of reports that "activations" were instances of a manufacturer putting Android on a device and not consumers registering the phone. Google denied that it included upgrades though.
Maybe they don't like people ripping off their products?
I think the iPad is too constrained for it to make sense to ramp down production and ramp up production of a new model when it has had less than a year on the market. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad 3 appeared in June 2012 now the iPhone has moved to September.
Plus it makes no logical sense. The iPhone 3GS was the 3rd iPhone and was followed by the iPhone 4. If the "S" meant a incremental improvement not worthy of a new version number then the iPhone 4 would be the iPhone 3 and we'd be talking about the upcoming 3S.
I think this is happening. The cheaper iPhone needs to be differentiated in some way so it doesn't feel like a cheap iPhone, though. Making it smaller makes sense. I think they'll do something like make the iPhone 5 have a 4" edge to edge screen and then have an iPhone mini with a 3" display, less storage and a cheaper camera.
The main problem with the Apple HDTV idea is that people don't update their TVs that often. If Apple releases an A5-based HDTV with an App Store this year, then developers (and Apple) will be stuck supporting it for the next 10 years. Your phone and tablet, which you update more frequently, will have a better processor than your TV. It makes no sense. With the $99 Apple TV you can update every year for the best experience.