or Connect

Posts by poke

Plus it makes no logical sense. The iPhone 3GS was the 3rd iPhone and was followed by the iPhone 4. If the "S" meant a incremental improvement not worthy of a new version number then the iPhone 4 would be the iPhone 3 and we'd be talking about the upcoming 3S.
I think this is happening. The cheaper iPhone needs to be differentiated in some way so it doesn't feel like a cheap iPhone, though. Making it smaller makes sense. I think they'll do something like make the iPhone 5 have a 4" edge to edge screen and then have an iPhone mini with a 3" display, less storage and a cheaper camera.
The main problem with the Apple HDTV idea is that people don't update their TVs that often. If Apple releases an A5-based HDTV with an App Store this year, then developers (and Apple) will be stuck supporting it for the next 10 years. Your phone and tablet, which you update more frequently, will have a better processor than your TV. It makes no sense. With the $99 Apple TV you can update every year for the best experience.
I think every even remotely intelligent person has known for a long time that the iPhone was constrained in the US by only being on one carrier and expected it to regain share from Android once it was on Verizon. The iPhone is still constrained by being on fewer carriers than Android, both in the US and globally. When Samsung released the original Galaxy Tab they said it was going to be on 500 carriers in 120+ countries. RIM makes similar claims. I believe the iPhone is...
Yeah, it all depends on how low RIM's valuation goes. I don't think anyone would pick them up now at $14 billion. What do they have that's worth $14 billion? Their hardware and OS is last generation. Their talent has proved incapable of creating a smart phone able to compete with iPhone and Android. It's all about what a company would pay to secure their customers. But if the stock collapses, it might be worth picking up, just to secure that user base.
I think RIM could actually be an acquisition target for Apple. Think about it. Anybody who was looking to buy RIM wouldn't be looking to buy their hardware or software assets or their talent. Their CEOs would be out, their engineers have proven incapable of creating a modern OS in a timely fashion, none of those assets are worth purchasing for any company. So anybody considering buying RIM would be doing it for their enterprise customers and solutions. There are a lot...
They said the iPad 2 was a "minor" or "evolutionary" upgrade and that had a completely new design, new CPU, new GPU, new battery, new cameras, etc. There's basically no pleasing analysts and pundits.
Strange to think that Microsoft makes $5 on every HTC Android handset sold. They're making more money from Android right now than WP7.
Hidden iOS 5 feature: Apple's global VOIP network that will replace the carriers. iPod is getting deprecated since there's a new iPhone that's unsubsidised and costs the same anyway.
I think iPad sales could eventually surpass iPhone sales just because they don't have the carrier bottleneck. Perhaps it'll happen in the holiday quarter (a Fall release for the iPhone 5, and a subsequent boost in sales, might make that difficult though).