or Connect

Posts by poke

Personally I prefer my iPad to my Mac for many tasks and when I'm in situations where I only have my iPad I don't find myself longing for my Mac at all. There's a few things it doesn't do well right now but I'm sure they'll be fixed (possibly on Monday when we get the iOS 5 beta). I've been convinced they'll displace laptops for most users from the start and I haven't seen any reason to change my mind yet. There's every reason for optimism.
I think the SIM-less design makes sense if Apple can get carriers to sign off on it. Apple needs to persuade carriers that it can do a better job selling iPhones than they can. They may have done that. What could be very disruptive is if Apple can sell the iPhone at a fixed price - say $199 - and get carriers to subsidise based on the number of customers Apple is sending their way rather than on a per phone basis. Then a customer can just select the plan that's best for...
So you're saying they'd operate like Dashboard in an overlay or something? I was thinking of Android-like widgets where they'd be on the home screen. I'm not sure if that would work either. There's definitely a need for simple universal tools on the iPad at least.
I honestly hope they don't do widgets. iOS doesn't need to be any more cluttered than it is now. Mostly I want better file management.
Maybe the new cheaper iPhone for the prepaid market is actually an iPod touch 3G.
I don't believe any report that claims it's called the "iPhone 4S." There have been four iPhones, the original, the 3G, the 3GS and the iPhone 4. The next one is either the iPhone 5 or something else entirely. It won't have a "4" in it. That's stupid.
It's the first time I've seen consumerism posited as a precursor to Naziism too.
This seems like a good time to restate my prediction that Apple is going to make iOS apps run on Lion. "Mac" will become a new device idiom that you can target along with "iPad" and "iPhone." The app will then display a Mac-optimised UI (designed for mouse/trackpad operation). Developers will be able to create x86/ARM universal binaries (although I think they'd have to make it so the App Store only downloaded the part of the package relevant for the device - so the Mac...
2.2 million is a lot of smart phones. Hard to sell that many without impacting Android sales.
Somebody else has access to the iOS code?