or Connect

Posts by poke

Google bought Android before the iPhone was announced. But Android was a Blackberry clone. After the iPhone was announced they quickly worked to make it touch-based. The first Android phones still required a Blackberry-style trackball and didn't have multitouch. They gradually added features to reach feature parity with the iPhone: dropping reliance on the trackball, adding multitouch like pinch to zoom, improving the onscreen keyboard, etc. They didn't get touch-based...
It basically confirms what I've always thought: Samsung, Motorola, et al, are successfully up-selling their dumb phone customers to Android but their overall growth is static. So you have Apple growing its number of mobile subscribers, while everyone else is either losing subs or remaining static, but the others are moving their own dumb phone customers to smart phones, which means they show dramatic growth when you just look at smart phones. The reason Android has such...
While it's nice that Apple is competitive in this area, I don't think it's a huge deal. When you're on a yearly upgrade cycle, there's just not enough time for developers to really max out the performance of a CPU/GPU. Very few developers have the capability to do so anyway. It's the software that really makes the difference. Current Android games still look two generations behind iOS games because the platform has yet to attract A-list developers. This is true even when...
Jobs's comments were smart and had some truth to them. These comments are absurd. More importantly, Jobs waits until he has a shipping product before declaring victory. Doing so before you've shipped anything does, indeed, look like reactionary 'lashing out.' And neither of these companies have an iPad competitor on the market.
Maybe it's true that there'll be no iPhone hardware at WWDC. Jim Dalrymple is a credible source, so let's accept that. On the other hand, none of the other recent rumours are credible so it's still possible that the following is true: 1. There will still be an iOS 5 preview in April, as usual. 2. We won't see the iPhone 5 at WWDC. But we'll still see it in this fiscal year. (It could even be in May or July.) Just because a bunch of rumours all come along at once, and you...
That's stupid. The invitation says "at this yearÂ’s conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS." If that suggests we're not going to see iOS 5 before June it also suggests that we're not going to see the next version of Mac OS before June. But we've already had TWO previews of the next version of Mac OS (at the Back to the Mac event and on their website after the developer release). What exactly are they going to 'unveil' about Mac OS? You can't just...
It's obvious Apple is on a yearly release schedule with iOS and simply cuts features if they're not ready in time. Maybe a major feature has been pushed back (like the cloud-based stuff) but I'd still expect Apple to ship iOS 5 with the iPhone 5. Even if it was a minor update and "deserved" to be named iOS 4.x, I still think they'd call it iOS 5 if it ships with the 5th generation iPhone.
The acceleration of disinformation about iOS 5 probably means we're going to see it soon. Same thing happened before the iPad 2 was unveiled.
I ordered online in the UK. It was saying "2-3 weeks" as soon as ordering opened. My predicted delivery date is 26th April. Hopefully they're just being conservative with their estimates and I'll get it before then.
I've been wondering if OS X 10.8 will just be a version of iOS 6 or 7. The way I see this happening is that Apple will add a "Mac" UI idiom to iOS similar to the Chameleon Project that will allow iOS apps to run in Lion with a Mac UI.http://chameleonproject.org/ But using a single universal binary that can be compiled in XCode. So you could make a single universal iPhone/iPad/Mac app. Then the Mac and iOS developer programs would be combined and the Mac App Store would...